Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 transport loss of acceleration-please help

gdub1970
04-21-2008, 12:03 PM
long story....driving down the highway couple weeks ago, 94 trans sport (3.1) 205,000 miles, started running rough. there was a loss of accelaration, was pushing the gas petal to the floor to get it to go. thought i smelled something burning. (was not running hot) i was going to the bank, and while in the drive-thru, when i put it in park-it made a funny noise. i thought it might need transmission fluid, so i stopped at the nearest dept store, checked it, it was low. i went in to get some fluid-they were all out! anyway, went back out to go to nearest station-- the van started running fine-no problem at all. so, went home, put in fluid. everything was fine.
couple days later, i was getting in that morning, wouldn't start at all. crank, but not turn over. :shakehead checking it out, one of the fuel injectors was just dribbling-i cleaned them out-started right up. ran great for about a week.
yesterday, it acted like it didn't want to start at first, but it caught on. drove for about an hour running errands, then it started acting up-the loss of acceleration was back. i had to push the petal to the floor to move, but when i let off the gas, it abrubtly came to a stop-no coasting- as if the brakes were on. i pulled over, put it in park, then back in drive. still acting the same.
as i was driving towards home, all of a sudden while accelerating, it started driving fine again!:banghead: i was almost home, then it started losing acceleration again.
can anyone tell me what this sounds like? is it the transmission? could it be something simple? i have no idea where to start. i can't really afford to have the trans rebuilt. i'm afraid to drive it anywhere.

LMP
04-23-2008, 03:07 PM
THrottle body injectors do fail...sometimes in an erratic mode, and it seems you have a hint on that. Do not let that indication behind while searching for other causes: check and verify that. Lucky there are two, so it is kind of a fail safe setup. They are expensive though, so make all possible checks before committing to buy inkectors...try salvage.
If it fails starting, try adding some fuel into the throttle body..and if then it starts right away, it would confirm the diagnostic.

It is possible that running on just one would run lean...and this generally means higher temperature exhaust, which your description would seem to support .

Add your comment to this topic!