Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

starting problem and light problems

lisa2000z24
03-26-2008, 09:33 PM
I have a 2000 z24 cav, with two problems.
1. when the car sits over night and i go down to start it, it wont start but it turns over but if i try it the second time it turns over and starts and shuts off, i will try it again and its starts.
2. i have high beams on the drivers side and low beams on the passenger side, also when i put the alarm on the lights dont flicker any more and my service light comes on. i changed the light bulbs and it still does it, i think maybe it might be the relay.
Can anyone give me any ideas please.

muff34
03-27-2008, 10:38 AM
1 -When was the last tune up performed on car ? Get the fuel filter changed,air filter also if it appears to be dirty. Your fuel pump may be getting weak resulting in poor starting. Have fuel pressure checked AFTER fuel filter has been changed.
2 After market alarm system may be giving you grief. Does the service light come on as soon as you put car in gear? The likely culprit is poor wiring/bad ground up front . You will have to start by checking all the wiring from headlights back to main wiring harness for breaks or corrosion

toivo
03-27-2008, 12:21 PM
the tuneup advice is good if you haven't done it in awhile. the fuel pressure regulator o-ring went on my car and it would never start until the fourth try. replaced the o-ring and it starts everytime. toivo on the lites, check the headlight relay if the dims don't come on or for burned headligh bulbs.

lisa2000z24
03-30-2008, 01:43 PM
i just did a complete tune up in the summer. i changed the bulbs, battery, alt and so on, do you guys think it might be the harness or a relay. the alam is dealer panic alarm and yes the service light does come on when i put it in gear.

muff34
04-05-2008, 06:01 PM
more than likely the harness ,at one of the splices. On my`00 Sunfire the pink high beam wire splice is below the drivers side headlight. low beam is blue and splice is closer to passenger side. You will have to pull both headlights out. When you take lights out of socket pay attention to plug to see if it is green at all. Pull out the harness across front of car and then uncover the wiring, then look for the splices. If you see other splices in there might as well do them as well ,while all is apart.

Add your comment to this topic!