Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Carburetor Problems??

donaldvf
03-25-2008, 09:00 PM
I just restarted a 1989 Isuzu Trooper II V6. It had been sitting in the pasture with little use for almost two years during this time. It had a nearly full gas tank. It has around 130,000 miles. It started well after a battery charge. The check engine light has come on for a couple of years with no apparent problems. It has been used little.

After a couple of days. the engine became very hard to start. This is a greater problem if the car has been stopped for a few minutes. It needs to have the gas pedal fully depressed while starting and it takes several tries to get going. Idle is high (2K) and fuel consumption is very high. Runs well at full-on freeway speeds but dies easily when stopping. From idle, sharply stepping on the accelerator causes a hiccup and may stall the vehicle. We used a fuel system cleaner and have used about two tanks of gas. We disconnected the battery for awhile to reset the sensors (this was helpful some years back for a similar problem of high idle). No change.

I know the heading says Carburetor Problems but understand it has Throttle Body Injection.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's heading to my mechanic in a few days.

Thanks in advance.

Don

donaldvf
03-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Turned out to be a bad fuel temperature sensor.

Thanks to all.

Don

Add your comment to this topic!