1996 Mirage S- Stalls outs/ Poor Performance

burkec1
03-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Okay- HERES GOES:
I own a 1996 Mirage S since Sept 2007 with 85,000 miles on it. It had not been driven a lot for the last few years prior to my purchase. It is being driven now. This is my only vehicle for transportation, other than a motorcycle. It has been tuned-up. It has been stalling out when I start it in the morning, cold or warm weather. The "check engine light" comes on when I start the car as well.
I have changed oil,air and fuel filters. I changed the oil last week. I am thinking that maybe I need to change the 02 sensor on it. From what I can glean from the reeading and research that I have done, that mey be the cause.
I do almost all my own maintenance on the car.I cannot afford that $50-8$80 mechanic at the station. SO IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS TO MY SITUATUON, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW.:uhoh:

DFBonnett
03-24-2008, 04:25 PM
If the CEL is coming on a code is being set. Since it is a '96 it is OBDII. Get the codes read and post back with that info. That will go a long way in assisting with a diagnosis. It is my understanding that places like Autozone will read out any codes free.

burkec1
03-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Any other suggestions- There is no Auto Zone within a hundred miles of me.I am, of course, out in the middle of farming country. The situatuion is getting progressively worse as I had to really work at getting it to start this morning.Once I got it running after several tries, it was okay. I will experiece the same problems again when I leave work again tonight.
Does any of the other auto places like Napa or O'Reily or Advance Auto Parts do this service for free as well?? I cannot afford to pay someone a hundred dollas to diganose what teh computer readouts are AS that is all I have left in my account for this month (and the next 2 weeks until payday)
BIG HELP NEEDED HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead:

DFBonnett
03-28-2008, 02:28 PM
You could try calling around and see if any place else does it. The symptoms you describe and the CEL could be caused by many things. Throwing parts at it without a diagnosis can be expensive and fruitless.
At no cost you can verify that all plug wires are on securely, no vacuum hoses have broken or come off, and that the air filter is not clogged.

azntech630
01-13-2009, 12:19 AM
if your car is been stalling out did you check spark? spark plug set of specs? fuel pressure? the mitsubishi mirage has 2 fuel pump relay check those if u need more info hit me up

'97ventureowner
01-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Please check the date of the last post in the thread and do not respond if that date is longer than 3 months from the current date.
From AF's Community Guidelines:
POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread.

The link to these guidelines can be found here:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html

Closed.

Add your comment to this topic!