Is the 2000-2002 Trooper a good vehicle?

GMCjet52
03-07-2008, 09:55 PM
My wife and I are looking into buying a Trooper. She likes the styling and size. Do these troopers have and issues I should know about before buying. What things should I look for during the test drive and inspection?

I understand Izusu is a great brand, but we got burned last time assuming Honda was perfect. We bought a 02 Honda Odyssey, after doing a little reasearch after the purchase we found out about numerous problems that the van has. A short while later we started having the same issues.

Trooper........Great buy or stay away?

amigo-2k
03-12-2008, 09:14 AM
The only issue to look out for is excessive oil useage, to the point of people running them out of oil. Excessive is +1 qt per 1k.

Other then that the only other thing is cleaning up the EGR and EGR tube once a year.

MPG is typically 15-19.

fourwd1
03-17-2008, 10:02 AM
I have a 2000 Trooper and love it.
Oil consumption is about 1 qt in 3000 miles.
One problem, a head cracked at 37000 miles for no reason. I found out later that cracked heads is a known issue with the engine.

Incusus
03-20-2008, 12:32 PM
I love my '99, it gets awful gas mileage (13-15) but then again it's as aerodynamic as a brick with a roofrack.

oil consumption is minimal as long as I seafoam and flush the engine every few changes and stick to synthetics.

It carries tons of stuff and with the LSD rear, does nicely off road.

Add your comment to this topic!