Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Terrible Dash Cracking/Rattling

myst0307
02-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Okay so my dash has been rattling on my 2000 cavi for probably a couple months now and I've been able to stand it for a bit, but it got to the point to where I was pulling my hair out. I finally opened it up a couple days ago, and I wanted to shoot myself. 5 inch cracks up and down the lower dash piece, and the piece that goes around the gauges and the radio has a couple of cracks as well. Not to mention I'm having the same cracking near the winshield panel just like everyone else is. I called my GM dealer for a quote and it was about $650 bucks not including installation. Not gonna happen. Anyway I managed to get a solid amount of gorilla glue in the cracks and its almost virtually eliminated the rattling. I'm just hoping its going to hold. Anyone have any other solutions. Maybe some kind of adhesive or something to keep things together. Also, my glove box door seems to be rattling. Any ideas?

kezia
02-25-2008, 01:15 PM
i had the part near the windshield crack in half. i didn't use gorilla glue because it expands too much but i got down partially in there and was able to get one side of it glued together with super glue and it held pretty well for me. granted i'm not all that car savvy compared to many others here, but hey, it was a quick fix that i spent a dollar on :P

millrtime
02-25-2008, 08:19 PM
i would suggest wood glue or modeling glue since both have some give in them and dont dry too hard. now if they stick to plastic, i have no idea, but modeling glue sticks to just about anything, dries quick, and doesnt let go easily.

ZenithZ24
02-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Oh the Cavalier cracks :grinyes: I used Gorilla glue on mine too, its holds up. I'm dreading the moment my 2003 LS Sport cracks... its so pretty right now, Anyone know any tricks to help prevent this?

kezia
02-25-2008, 11:25 PM
keep it out of the sun. invest in one of those reflector things

Classicrocjunkie
02-26-2008, 11:50 AM
They make a cover now to hide cracks in the dash if you have them. Pricey, but hides any cracks.

myst0307
02-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Just purchased one yesterday night after writing this lol. Thanks for the tip. $144 dollars with shipping..but its better than buying an entire new dash piece. That piece near the winshield is actually part of the entire lower half. :(

yhandor
02-27-2008, 02:39 AM
Do the eye brow tint like i did, a strip on the top of your windshield and the one on the bottom, keeps the sun off that strip and part of your dash, and is easier on your eyes when the sun is in full force. and looks awesome

Classicrocjunkie
02-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Or take your top dash off and loosen the nuts which the factory over tightened to prevent this from ever happening. :)

ZenithZ24
02-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Or take your top dash off and loosen the nuts which the factory over tightened to prevent this from ever happening. :)

Any nuts specificly? Like the ones up under the defroster vent? Or just most of them in general?

Classicrocjunkie
02-27-2008, 11:55 AM
There are 2-3 that are under the dash pad you can see which hold the top dash to the fire wall. If you really want to fix the issue, loosen the whole dash, pull it back and place rubber washers between the dash and fire wall. You don't have to fully make them loose, just back them off and then hand snug them.

ZenithZ24
02-27-2008, 12:51 PM
I'll definately be doing that when I tear the dash apart to replace my deck. I don't want my LS Sport's dash to end up like my Z24's (even though that wasn't that bad... on the outside...). I'm very picky with my cars.

Add your comment to this topic!