Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

The mysterious heater blower

DMikeM
02-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Night before last I parked my 98 Acura SLX, (heater working) in my driveway.
Went out to do the morning warm up (it's cold up here). Fired it up as usual but the darn heater blower did not come on. Checked the fuses twisted knobs and slid levers, no joy.
I found these forums and searched out the heater blower and find most of the answers is the alternator. I had my company mechanics check out the car and they tell me the circuit is dead, no power to the switch no power to the blower motor. Is this the alternator problem? Do I need to replace the alternator or is there another approach? I do remember a puddle of ice, snow and water on the way home that night but the heater was working when I parked.
Are there alternators I should avoid, I found plenty under 200 bucks.
I need to get this done as I live in Big Bear and it is still cold and winter here.

copter steve
02-09-2008, 11:44 PM
:runaround:DmikeM

I think that before you tossed your alternator you should check the relays for your heater circuit. I do not have my manual on me, but the alternator would not cause the problem you are having. But a simple dvom test on the battery would let you know if the alternator was charging. The first place I would look would be a fuse or a relay. Some relays have a fusible link that is suppling power to be swithced in the circuit.

Good Luck

copter steve

DMikeM
02-10-2008, 01:09 PM
copter steve,
Appreciate your reply. Our mechanics did a battery charge test and say the battery is charging correctly. But as I said they also tell me there is no power being delivered to the fuse block or the blower moter, or the dash mounted fan control.
I am going to try and locate the resistor block and have a look at that, but I still suspect the alternator right now.
Have a small plug-in the cigar lighter heater on the way for a tempory heat solution, just really need to keep the window clear on the cold morning drives.

DMikeM
03-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Heater fixed see this post.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=888471

dr_jones2u
12-14-2010, 02:43 PM
I had the same problem with my Trooper and it was the alternator. The system cuts power to none essential stuff thats why heaters, a/cs, and electric seats quit. The alternator that comes on the truck is a 90 amp alternator. The one that Autozone sold me was a 75 amp alternator ..no one showed a 90 amp alternator for that application so when you asked for an alternator, they sold you a 75 amp. When I put a 90 amp alternator back on from salvage yard it worked fine. (I couldn't get mine rebuilt because they had already disposed of my core)

Add your comment to this topic!