Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

peak antifreeze

clayduke
01-30-2008, 06:37 PM
has anyone used the 5yr 150,000mi peak antifreeze? I just bought a couple gals. bottle says it mixes with all other antifreezes. Its color is green. Anyone mix it with dexcool? dexcool and peak have the same ingredients. just wondering what you guys think.

Iflylow
01-31-2008, 11:50 AM
I have some, but I got my Dexcool removed. I wouldn't mix anything with Dexcool, I've heard too many stories about it gumming up if mixed. However, some people have mixed it with no problems, so I don't know.

j cAT
01-31-2008, 12:07 PM
I have some, but I got my Dexcool removed. I wouldn't mix anything with Dexcool, I've heard too many stories about it gumming up if mixed. However, some people have mixed it with no problems, so I don't know.
unless the antifreeze has the GM spec stamped on container do not use. also any dexcool compatible antifreeze must be pink. this is so that OTHERS will know what is in there! I only use texaco dexcool.I have used this since 1996. i have 2 vehicles with many miles and years on them and i am finding it hard to understand how is it that all these vehicle owners have sludged coolant systems. i change mine every 5years and the only discoloration is when i back flush the heater core hoses.....i also use 60/40 mix and only use distilled water.......

'97ventureowner
01-31-2008, 12:12 PM
unless the antifreeze has the GM spec stamped on container do not use. also any dexcool compatible antifreeze must be pink. this is so that OTHERS will know what is in there! I only use texaco dexcool.I have used this since 1996. i have 2 vehicles with many miles and years on them and i am finding it hard to understand how is it that all these vehicle owners have sludged coolant systems. i change mine every 5years and the only discoloration is when i back flush the heater core hoses.....i also use 60/40 mix and only use distilled water.......
You are right. There are other factors involved with instances of Dex Cool sludging up in a cooling system such as air infiltration. There were faulty radiator caps discovered and it was recommended that they be replaced with a Stant brand cap. If Dex Cool was so bad GM would have discontinued use of it by now, and recommended another coolant to use . The problem is when someone is having a problem or is dissatisfied with something, they become very vocal about it, on the other hand those that have no issues or are satisfied tend not to be as vocal. So we tend to hear more negative comments about things, not only coolant but other things in our surroundings.

Blue Bowtie
01-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Agreed. It's the squeaky wheel syndrome.

Not only has GM not dropped DexCool, but all other major manufacturers have switched to organic acid coolants, like DexCool, for their original coolant fill. It must be really bad for everyone else to have followed GM's lead on this.

And don't mix anything with DexCool except water.

Add your comment to this topic!