Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Rodeo OBD-1 Scan Tool

groovyforster
01-13-2008, 07:35 PM
I am trying to find what I need to get live data from the vehicle. I can get codes from the 3 pin connector but would actually like to see what the engine is actually doing. I have a tech-1 as well as a snap-on mt-2500. What cartridges/adapters do I need and where can I find them? Thanks, Groovy

Cat Fuzz
01-13-2008, 11:05 PM
I was told you can't get a data stream from pre-OBDII Rodeos. I had access to a Snap-on MODIS and was going to plug my VIN# in and see what it said, but the boss sent it back to Snap-on all pissed off at them for something.

trooperbc
01-13-2008, 11:30 PM
I am trying to find what I need to get live data from the vehicle. I can get codes from the 3 pin connector but would actually like to see what the engine is actually doing. I have a tech-1 as well as a snap-on mt-2500. What cartridges/adapters do I need and where can I find them? Thanks, Groovy you have a Tech1 ? wow! try googling. iirc, isn't it Vetronix or something like that. last time i was checking a while ago, try googling Vetronix and/or kent-moore (the original isuzu tool maker) and follow to the now current owner. sorry i can't remember this stuff right now and not able to hunt around for any traces of my search trail.

//bc
i seem to recall from the factory manual it takes an isuzu specific connector and of course software, though its possible some gm software *might* work.

//bc

trooperbc
01-13-2008, 11:44 PM
here are a couple of links i found

the page giving info on the vitronix trail
http://www.vetronix.com/

the current maker of Tech2
http://www.boschdiagnostics.net/products/ScanTools/Tech2/default.htm

should be a start where to contact for info

let us know what you come up with will you...

//bc

groovyforster
01-17-2008, 12:56 PM
This is what I got from the new boschdiagnostics:
There are several versions of MSC which could have the software you need. There was an asian imports software package. If you purchased this software it would have been loaded on the same MSC as the domestic software. It really depends on how old the cartridges are that you have. With the Tech 1 stuff there are a whole bunch of cartridges at different time periods.

You need to find out if the ECU was made by Delco or Hitachi. The vehicle may be use a 16 pin OBDII connector, if not it would use eitherr the Delco 3 pin adaptor or the hitachi 3 pin adaptor.
This is all Greek to me. How can I get different software installed. Does it get loaded to the Tech1?

95.5 Rodeo
01-23-2008, 10:45 AM
This is what I got from the new boschdiagnostics:
There are several versions of MSC which could have the software you need. There was an asian imports software package. If you purchased this software it would have been loaded on the same MSC as the domestic software. It really depends on how old the cartridges are that you have. With the Tech 1 stuff there are a whole bunch of cartridges at different time periods.

You need to find out if the ECU was made by Delco or Hitachi. The vehicle may be use a 16 pin OBDII connector, if not it would use eitherr the Delco 3 pin adaptor or the hitachi 3 pin adaptor.
This is all Greek to me. How can I get different software installed. Does it get loaded to the Tech1?

The dealer uses a Tech 1 scan tool (J-38770) and Engine diagnostic cartridge (TK-2470C-1) to access DTCs and engine data on the 95.5 3.2 Rodeo.

The removable cartridge links its firmware to the Tech 1 and the tool provides DTCs & live engine data (RPM, intake air temperature, ignition timing settings, ETC.) to the scan tool through the 3 pin ALDL connector.

I gave up trying to find these items as it looks like they are available to dealers only.

If I had the 1996 Rodeo all I would need to do is borrow my Brother's OBD2 scan tool then I would have access to everything.

Dale

groovyforster
01-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look around on ebay or something for that cartridge. If the rodeo was a 96 I would have no problems accessing the ecm.

groovyforster
02-09-2008, 08:55 PM
To all interested:
I was able to communicate with the ECM through the snap-on brick with 99' Primary and Troubleshooters and either Muti-1 or Multi-2 adapters. This scan tool found an engine code that jumping the aldl connector didn't reveal.
Thanks again to all,
Groovy

FL 3.2L
02-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Don't leave us hanging!!!

Did you post the code somewhere?

groovyforster
02-10-2008, 05:00 PM
The code was DTC-33 (MAP Sensor, High Voltage). I checked this with a vacuum pump and voltmeter. It was high. I cleaned the MAP sensor with alcohol, blew it out and reinstalled it. No more codes. Running a little rough though.
Groovy

FL 3.2L
02-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!