1994 Trooper Issues

Compscott
01-02-2008, 01:21 PM
I just purchased a used 1994 Trooper LS with 148,000 miles on it. Overall the vehicle is in good shape, but the more that I drive it I am finding some issues that are starting to concern me.

This is a 5-speed manual transmission with the 3.2L engine.

First thing I noticed was the U/S light on the dashboard. It seems to work fine as I shift through the gears, but then comes on and stays on when I am in 5th gear. Its almost like it thinks that I should have a 6th gear to go to.

Secondly, the cruise does not seem to work. I push the button to turn the cruise on and the cruise indicator on the dash does not come on and the cruise does not function. I have checked and I do not seem to find a fuse for cruise so I don't think that is the issue.

Lastly, I replaced one of the tail lights recently and when checking to make sure all the lights lit I noticed that the reverse lights do not come on when I put the car in reverse. However, this morning as I was leaving my driveway I happened to notice that my reverse lights do come on, but they come on when I shift into first and second gear. None of the other gears will light the reverse lights but first and second.

It seems ike all these issue are somewhat related and I am concerned that it is going to end up being something in the transmission. Does anyone have any ideas of where I should start to see if I can troubleshoot these issues? I am definately not a mechanic, but I have some access to some people who are so if its something I can resolve myself I would really like to do so.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Compscott

trooperbc
01-03-2008, 12:30 AM
sounds like someone switched some of the connectors on the trans. there's a reverse light switch, and indicator switches for 1-2 and 3-4 and one or two others. crawl under there and see if you can figure out where the wires ought to be by their lenght and position.

//bc

Add your comment to this topic!