Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

73 Heater doesen't work

wykydjuggalo
12-29-2007, 01:59 AM
some of you may have seen my previous post about the blower motor, well i figured that out of course i should have thought to remove the fender well in the first place, anyway i got the new motor in and still no heat, the car used to have ac all that was removed when whomever had the car before me had the bright idea to put a 250 in the car for "better gas mileage". They have messed all the wiring up in the car had all the aftermarket gauges, stereo and speakers all on one common ground, on the stering colum. What i need to know is which wires i need to look for and where they go so i can get the heat working, it's getting colder and hard to drive with the foggy windows.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Josh

rhandwor
12-30-2007, 07:02 PM
If this is really a 1973 you should have a heater control valve in the heater hose going to the heater. Some are vacuum operater some have a cable operated unit.
Feel both heater hoses if they are not hot when the car is at operating temperature. If vacuum operated make sure have vacuum before changing.
Most parts stores should still have axcess to a new unit.

wykydjuggalo
12-30-2007, 11:31 PM
i just wasn't getting any power to the blower motor, i wired it to a toggle switch so i got heat now. i'm eventually going to completly redo the wiring harness

j cAT
01-07-2008, 04:14 PM
i just wasn't getting any power to the blower motor, i wired it to a toggle switch so i got heat now. i'm eventually going to completly redo the wiring harness

the dash blower switch should have voltage. if not a wire connector/compression crimp may have corroded. i'm sure you already checked fuses with meter, not eyes! i believe at base of steering shaft these wires go to accessories its been afew years since i had 1973 chev........also there is no off position on this system as i remember..

Add your comment to this topic!