Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 malibu problems with gas/emissions code

1998malibu
11-12-2007, 05:10 PM
I have a 98 malibu as my screen name implies. When I am stopped a lot of times my car dies, and something even stranger has been occuring recently.
One day I started putting gas into my car and it started bubbling back out and some kind of hazy vapor came out. I got a refund for the small amount of gas that my car wouldn't accept and drove to my house a a few minutes away. When I got there I opened the gas cap just to look and it started bubbling out more gas and the vapor was coming out again.
Another time I went to fill up my tank I noticed a noise coming out of it and that vapor again. I waited for a minute or two and then it stopped and I filled up my tank fine. My check engine light is also on and I got it scanned and it came up with a fuel/emissions code. I have already replaced the cadylidic converter. The only other problem is that my car dies after a moment if I try to use A/C, heat or defrost. Anytime my car dies it always eventually starts back up and usually the first time. Any advice would be appreciated.

bcopeland
11-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Seems like the fuel tank vent line is clogged up - charcoal canister? Idling had a fuel pump problem.

Add your comment to this topic!