Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Programming Keyless Entry Transmitter

superbill976
11-02-2007, 12:54 PM
I know there are probably some of these posted on the site already....but I'm trying to find out how to program my keyless entry remote on my 1998 Malibu. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I just bought it from a non-Chevrolet dealer and they didn't know how to fix the remote.

Thanks,
Bill

bearcatdon
11-02-2007, 04:36 PM
I know there are probably some of these posted on the site already....but I'm trying to find out how to program my keyless entry remote on my 1998 Malibu. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I just bought it from a non-Chevrolet dealer and they didn't know how to fix the remote.

Thanks,
Bill

You need to jump a 2 pin connector that is located in the trunk near the antenna. Your correct, if you click on "search this forum" located above the views and replies on the main page you'll find lots of detailed information.

superbill976
11-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks "bear"....I'll try that tomorrow. Do you have any idea which pins? I'll check the forums out just in case. Thanks again!

bearcatdon
11-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks "bear"....I'll try that tomorrow. Do you have any idea which pins? I'll check the forums out just in case. Thanks again!

It's a 2 pin connector. It may be behind the lining but it's there taped to a wire harness. Jump the pins and your now in program mode.

superbill976
11-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Hey "bear"..... I jumped the pins and the doors locked and unlocked. Then I'm suppose to hold down the buttons on the remote for 10 seconds or more. Then the doors are suppose to lock. For some reason its not doing anything. The battery in the remote is new. I work at Autozone and we have a tester for the remotes to see if they work and it does. But, for some reason its not working on the car. I know for a fact that it came with the car. The FCC ID# is LHJ011. It'd be cool if you could throw any help my way. I'm going to try and look around for some other options. The key fob company we go through wants to charge me $20 for instructions to program it.

bearcatdon
11-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Hey "bear"..... I jumped the pins and the doors locked and unlocked. Then I'm suppose to hold down the buttons on the remote for 10 seconds or more. Then the doors are suppose to lock. For some reason its not doing anything. The battery in the remote is new. I work at Autozone and we have a tester for the remotes to see if they work and it does. But, for some reason its not working on the car. I know for a fact that it came with the car. The FCC ID# is LHJ011. It'd be cool if you could throw any help my way. I'm going to try and look around for some other options. The key fob company we go through wants to charge me $20 for instructions to program it.

Here's a link on the instructions. I programmed 2 FOB's on my 99 vehicle using this method. Don't pay the 20 bucks because this is all you're going to get.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=718100

My FOB is GM18245100-29 FCCID: AB01502T. Your FOB is for full size GM trucks 2002 and up. I bought my FOB's off E-bay it looks like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-1998-1999-CHEVY-LUMINA-MALIBU-KEY-REMOTE-FOB_W0QQitemZ290177317977QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33723Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not saying to buy this(you can probably get a better deal), it was the first one I found that is the same as mine and would most likely work on your car.

Has your FOB ever worked with the car? The car salesmen may have given you the wrong FOB.

When you jump the connectors make sure you have a good connection and that you don't remove it until your finished with the programming. I believe that I jammed a small screwdriver in the housing to jump it. As a safe guard, roll down your window prior to starting in case something goes wrong. Better safe then sorry.

gdude54
11-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Hello All, I'm new to the site and could use some help. I have a 97 Malibu LS. This thing has all the bells and whisles. I got it for 500 bucks from some rich folks that parked it a year ago because it was making a clicking sound. they had the engine rebuilt about 10.000 miles ago and never took it back for the check up.( retorquing, oilchange etc) I found that two rockers were stripped so I installed some heli coils and the problem seems to be fixed. I am having a proble with the keyless program. I read the posts here on how to do it and it seemed to work fine except the drivers door does not seem to respond. all the other doors and trunk work fine but the drivers wont lock or unlock. Can someone help me out with this.....Also I have this red light on the dash, it is square with a wiggly line and a arrow pointing down. I think it is trying to tell me that I am low on coolent which is not the case, its up to the "fill when cold line". I took it off cleaned it out the best I could ( it has deviders and maybe some kind of flote hookup inside, not really sure. It has a two prong wire that plugs into it). ... This is a great site, lots of good people with great advise, feel like I struck Gold here. Hope I posted this right. Please help if you can. Thanks George:banghead:

bearcatdon
11-10-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm assuming that the driver door locks work when you use the switch inside the car? If so then you have a short somewhere and will have to trace it down.

The coolant light is on because you have air in the system. You can bleed it from the heater tube above the water pump. You'll probably have to do this a few times to get everything out.

superbill976
11-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Just letting you know "bear" I have a friend at a dealer and he slid a couple remotes my way for free. They work great. Thanks for the help.

Add your comment to this topic!