Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 buick park ave ultra wont start just clicks help

97wagonlx
10-26-2007, 01:03 AM
ok i just bought this car got it home and it wont start when i get in and turn the key on all the lights light up as normal but when i try to start there is a loud click everything goes dim for a few seconds at which time i hear a few random relays clicking then the dash comes back up bright sometimes it will start and sometimes it will just click and do the same thing over again what could this be any info would be greatly appriciated :banghead:

97wagonlx
10-26-2007, 01:06 AM
also the car only has 104k miles on it and i tried to give it a jump and all it does is click like its got a dead battery but repeatedly , so it sounds like it wants to start but just wont something is stopping the starter from turning it over again any input would be great

HotZ28
10-26-2007, 06:14 AM
This could be corroded positive or negative battery cables. Always remove the negative cable first, & then the positive cables. Notice on the positive side, there are two large cables mounted piggyback here with a spacer in between the two. Remove the rubber insulation to expose both cables and the spacer, then check for corrosion between the two sides. Clean everything with a BRASS bristle brush, and use dielectric grease on all sides before reassembly. If this does not resolve the problem, it may be time for a new battery. You can have the battery load tested for free at most auto parts stores. Be sure all connections are clean & tight before testing! I got tired of working with the OEM cable terminals and replaced all of them on my cars with what you see in the pics below.
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/669/p112nf0.jpghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9701/p1120wf8.jpg

CarDude225
10-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Definitely sounds like just what HOTZ said. Bad connection at battery or bad battery. Easy and cheap fix.

97wagonlx
10-26-2007, 02:32 PM
ok so this morning before i got the reply's i took of the positive terminal which was a little loose maybe did a bad thing i used sand paper and sanded them down a little so they were a little shiny put them back together didnt use any grease tightened them down jump started my car it started up fine so i let it run for about a half hour shut it of it started back up without a problem so i took it around the block 3/4 of the way around it started pinging like i had bad gas then it died out and would not restart same like dead battery situation:banghead: so i had to push it back to my house any idea's would be greatly apriciated because i would really like to get this car going because i love the way it drives/rides and would hate to see it sitting

HotZ28
10-26-2007, 03:06 PM
ok so this morning before i got the reply's i took of the positive terminal which was a little loose maybe did a bad thing i used sand paper and sanded them down a little so they were a little shiny put them back together didnt use any grease tightened them down jump started my car it started up fine so i let it run for about a half hour shut it of it started back up without a problem so i took it around the block 3/4 of the way around it started pinging like i had bad gas then it died out and would not restart same like dead battery situation:banghead: so i had to push it back to my house any idea's would be greatly apriciated because i would really like to get this car going because i love the way it drives/rides and would hate to see it sitting
What is the reading on the volt meter when the car is idling? In addition, follow the things mentioned above, never disconnect the positive cable first! (Good way to fry a PCM)! You must also clean & tighten the negative cable. Look at the wires going into the terminals, do they have corrosion inside the wire? Once you have everything clean & tight, check the battery under load.

97wagonlx
10-26-2007, 03:06 PM
also when it starts it runs fine but when i put it in gear the SES light comes on any idea's

97wagonlx
10-26-2007, 03:29 PM
What is the reading on the volt meter when the car is idling? In addition, follow the things mentioned above, never disconnect the positive cable first! (Good way to fry a PCM)! You must also clean & tighten the negative cable. Look at the wires going into the terminals, do they have corrosion inside the wire? Once you have everything clean & tight, check the battery under load. ok when the car is at idle it is a little past the 13v so i believe that is normal last i remembered most cars are between 12-14v so i dont know i loked at the negative cable on the battery it was tight and i did not see any obvious signs of corrosion and i also read in another post about the ground under the coil packs and that looked tight so i am at a loss

HotZ28
10-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Have you got another car with a known good battery, or do you have a friend willing to let you try his/her battery. If this car was sitting for a long period of time, the battery may be bad. Again, the battery needs testing under load to verify proper load amps & voltage under load.

97wagonlx
10-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Have you got another car with a known good battery, or do you have a friend willing to let you try his/her battery. If this car was sitting for a long period of time, the battery may be bad. Again, the battery needs testing under load to verify proper load amps & voltage under load. i will have to try and find one that i can borrow no use in dropping $70 on a new battery if i dont have to but to answer your question yes the car had been sitting for about 4 months prior to me getting it so i have a feeling its battery related to but to do what it did today just kind of freaked me out

Add your comment to this topic!