Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need help with removal of drivers side axle

signtech909
10-21-2007, 01:41 AM
i'm trying to remove the darn thing but it's just not going anywhere!
i've tried to remove it with a pry bar but its not working also i tried removeing other side axle to pound it out from passenger side but something is in the way so i cant do that.
any suggestions?

denisond3
10-21-2007, 05:17 PM
I am assuming you have the outer end of the axle already removed from the hub? I was working on a 00 Kia with the 5 speed transaxle today. (Though I didnt need to get the axles out -yet-). On the transaxle I was looking at there isnt any good place to get a prybar between the back side of the inner CV joint and the trans - so I would use a thick chunk of steel about a foot long, and hold one end of it against the 'backside' of the inner CV joint. Then hit the end of the steel rod with a sledge hammer.
Even using a prybar on other cars, I find a 4 foot carpenters crowbar is about right. I also have a truck tire-iron about 3 feet long, with a flattened end on it. That has worked for me, but still takes a good strong yank to spring the axle shaft out of the splines in the differential. There is a springclip in those splines that has to be overcome.
The reason you cant push something through the differential from the other side is because the pinion shaft runs across the middle of that differential.

Add your comment to this topic!