Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Do I REALLY need the front hub nut tool?

pharm_rodeo
10-12-2007, 02:10 PM
I plan on repacking my bearings while working on the brakes. I have everything I need, except the hub nut tool. Do I really need it or can I use a screwdriver to tab the nut to remove it?

Isn't there a axle tool that fits without modification?

XR400R
10-12-2007, 02:23 PM
No, you do not need a special tool. You are only removing the bearing pre-load spindle nut, and it should not be very tight. You can jimmy it around with a drift or screw driver. There are holes in it to push it from.

There is a special tool designed just for this nut (seems like I've seen it priced at $13 or so), but you do not need it.

Gizmo42
10-12-2007, 04:00 PM
You can do it with hammer and punch/screwdriver. I just find it easier to get the bearing preload setting right using the modified ford hub nut tool. Either way works so up to you.

99 Fronty
10-12-2007, 09:44 PM
If you don't have an in/lb torque wrench (like me) you can make a pin spanner (face spanner) out of some flat bar, bolts and nuts, with a short arm like a 'Y' shape. Then use a fishing spring balance to get the right pre-load. Make the handle of the spanner reasonably long because you first have to load up the bearing to get everything seated, and then back it off and get the correct pre-load.
On my 99 Rodeo I made the leverage distance 4 inches, so the required force is about 10 lb.

Cheers,

Andrew.

2000izusu
10-13-2007, 06:43 AM
i used a flat blade screw driver,worked great! the real issue for me was getting the three phillips screwws out of the retainer ring! mike

XR400R
10-13-2007, 07:42 AM
i used a flat blade screw driver,worked great! the real issue for me was getting the three phillips screwws out of the retainer ring! mike

Agreed, Mike. That's the real problem. Easy to strip the screw heads.

After having problems with the first one, I used a hand impact driver on the rest, and that popped 'em right out on the first smack with no difficulty & no damage to the heads.

2000izusu
10-13-2007, 08:48 PM
once i got the phillips screws out (all 6) i then replaced them with hex head (male) small bolts (same thread and length). now when i pack or tighten the bearings i put a socket on them and they come right out! mike

p.s. i wish i had thought of the impact, at the time!

metomwhou
10-17-2007, 11:47 PM
I plan on repacking my bearings while working on the brakes. I have everything I need, except the hub nut tool. Do I really need it or can I use a screwdriver to tab the nut to remove it?

Isn't there a axle tool that fits without modification?

So what did you end up using? I'm debating on whether or not to buy the tool my self. Also, did you buy an axle greaser or just use your hands?
Thanks,
Tom

pharm_rodeo
10-18-2007, 12:28 AM
You don't need one. If you wanted to buy one, Performance Tool sells a socket just for an Isuzu. I believe it's around $13. You'd have to order it b/c most parts stores don't stock it.

I used an appropriate sized allen wrench to spin the nut off. Find one that fits the hole and you're set to go. The nut is just snug not tight so it's easy getting it off. Also, I bought a bearing repacking tool. I actually used the tool on one side and hand packed the other. Just wanted to try both.

I would suggest that you check your rotors and pads while you have everything off. I replaced the rotors, pads, and repacked the bearings. I just like doing things all at once while I have everything removed.

metomwhou
10-18-2007, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the info! I typed axle greaser but was thinking bearing packer the whole time! Last time I packed them by hand too, didn't seem to hard just took forever. My hole mess started because I wanted to replace the rotors on my Trooper and got stuck at the bearing retainer/axle nut. I think I got it figured out now, this forum is uber helpful, you just gotta be patient sometimes!
Thanks again,
Tom

Cat Fuzz
10-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Packing bearings is easy with a grease gun and needle injector. You can squeeze the grease between each individual roller in no time.

Add your comment to this topic!