Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mega Datsuns

TheJimmay
11-27-2002, 01:19 AM
Let me announce the new super custom classic of the universe.. THE V8 240Z Now currently an undertaking of mine.

-The Stig-
11-27-2002, 01:22 AM
Like my partner in crime, I too shall take a 240z under my wing.

Team Kick Your Stanky Ass Viper has been formed.

:ylsuper :ylsuper

GO BULLIT!

TheJimmay
11-27-2002, 01:24 AM
Well all i have to say to kickin vipers asses and whatnot is purely speculative.... BUT WE SHALL PREVAIL AND BEAT THEIR ASSES DOWN!

GO BULLIT!

"the south shall rise again in the form of NASCAR"

Or maybe just with me in my backyard whistlin dixie.

-The Stig-
11-27-2002, 01:40 AM
As you said, the V8 240z would just come up to 90% of cars and give them the :finger4: then :wave: goodbye.

While still getting mid 20mpg.

TheJimmay
11-27-2002, 01:41 AM
Plans for the Z

Year:1973 Datsun 240Z

Paint: Jet Black with twin white racing stripes on the hood

Wheels: Undecided

Interior: Stock dash with added gauge cluster, two racing bucket seats (type Undecided) two 5 point harnesses, 4 point roll cage, gutted rear area and replaced with clean custom sheetmetal work. (of my own hand all TIG welded) (It will look nice trust me)

Powerplant: Chevy 5.7 liter Gm Vortec 350 crate motor, 330 horse/ 380 torque

Trans: TH350 (with shift kit)

Rear end: shortened and hardened axles, stock 3.08 gearing

Other Goods: Side pipes, fair sound system, and the rest is still in the making

TheJimmay
11-27-2002, 01:45 AM
It's Fo Fifty Six in the A M And you are watching PERSPECTIVEs

-The Stig-
11-27-2002, 01:53 AM
Nice... mine would be slightly different.

Year: 1970-72 240z

Paint: Championship White

Wheels: Not sure of the name, but I know what they look like.

Interior: Mostly Stock, Custom 4 point roll cage just like yours :D, Racing seats with 4 point harnessess. (probably remove rear seat and put speakers in its place)

Motor: Crate GM 350 250hp/300tq (Vortec sounds good though)

Transmission: Th350, 2200rpm stall converter, B&M shift kit

Rear End: shortened and hardened axles, stock 3.08 gearing (same as yours)

TheJimmay
11-27-2002, 01:58 AM
Dang redneck 2200 stall in a v8 datsun if i did my homework correctly you would look something like this on the road

Motor revving

::shifting::

::Mass chirping::

::going sideways::

::hitting camry next to you smashing little kids hand that was hanging out the back window with your rear quarter panel::

::blood everywhere and mass screaming::

Megadeath rules

-The Stig-
11-27-2002, 02:01 AM
hmmm... yeah.. that pretty much sums it up right there...

ill be sure to stop and call the injured pilfering grabasses.

Grendel
11-27-2002, 02:57 AM
So you guys have a project 240? Cool :)

Why don't you pass on the crate motors and go LT1... or even LS1 :D

Ever seen Darius' supercharged 240Z?

Go here (http://www.darius240z.com/240z.htm) for pics

Specs - Description
Motor - 1996 Chevy Lt1
Throttle Body - 58mm Edelbrock
Transmision - Borg Warner t-56 6 Speed
Fuel Management - Fell Pro Full sequential 65lb injectors
Rear End - 300z Twin Turbo lsd 3:73
Brakes - Willwood 4 Wheel Disks
Seats - Sparco Rev's
Belts - Simpson Cam Locks
Steering Wheel - Sparco Black Suede
Fuel - Fuel Safe Pro Cell
Super Charger - Procharger d-1 15lbs Boost
Intercooler - Spearco 27x12
Rims - H.R.E. 545's 17x8
Tires - Yokahama Advans 235-40-17
Suspension - Eibach Coil Overs, tokico shocks
Camber Plates - Ground Control
Sway Bars - 1 1/2 Front 7/8 Rear
Control Arms - Tubular
Safety - 8 Point Cage, Fire System

Its pretty cool :)

-Grendel

-The Stig-
11-27-2002, 12:33 PM
Well, not a project Z... we both plan on getting a Z for ourselves.

A LT1 or LS1 would cost wayy to much, much more than i'm willing to spend on a daily driver/project car. But i'll be sure to keep an eye out for wrecked F-bodies to see if I can snag one.

TheJimmay
11-27-2002, 02:58 PM
Yeah the LT1 or LS1 would be awesome but it would just be to much money. Overall though for a fun sleeper that is really quick I really believe in the Datsun 8 cylinder conversions. they have books and manuals and everything that proves they are a cheaper easier way to go fast with these cars than with turbos. Though the turbos are sweet its just to much money and crap to worry about and squeeze in there. so yeah go Datsun performance. well techinically its american muscle sooooo.. Go Datsun light weight import bodies!!!!

Oh and GO V8 TORQUE

TheJimmay
11-27-2002, 03:37 PM
Grendal. BTW thanks for the pics of that guys 240. that thing is tits and only makes me realise how cool a V8 conversion is in these things.

TerminalVelocity
11-28-2002, 05:45 AM
well...heres what I have to say, rather than repost it, i'll link it

BUCHI (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=673096#post673096)

-The Stig-
11-28-2002, 10:48 AM
The Swap is super easy, with the right tools you can have it done in about a months time.

Weight, well the great thing is the 350 is shorter in length so it brings the center of gravity moretowards the center of the car. Plus the 350 only weighs 140lbs more than the 2.8l 6 cyclinder.

Suspension can be tightened up easily too.

Oh and the cost, you buy the conversion kit for like 300, cost of a motor, a tranny (which ihave a th350 from the 72), odds and ends

You can probably build a V8 240z for about $4000, maybe a bit less.

Which you get a car that weighs less than a civic, has the power of a F-body, you can run low 12 second passes easy, and still get like 20mpg.

Plus you can say you built it yourself:D

Grendel
11-28-2002, 02:45 PM
Yea, a V8 Z would be way fun... a SR20 240 would be even better :D

What would you call that? A 200Z or something :p

I would take the SR20 over a V8... I was reading that it weighs about the same as a Ford 5.0, but it loves to rev, and can handle high horsepower...

Whats the redline on a typical SBC?

-Grendel

BTW... some guys on hybridz.org (http://hybridz.org) were discussing putting in an SR20... kinda interesting...

-The Stig-
11-28-2002, 03:10 PM
Hmmm a Typical SBC can red at 5500-5600. Thats a fairly stock motor.

But they obviously make the power down low, making peak torque in the mid 3000 range and peak horsepower in the mid 4000.

This can all be changed with cams and what nots.

They may not rev highlike a SR20DET motor or like other Japanese hi-performance motors. But what they lack in revving capabilities they make up in easy to access grunt... which usually results in tire smoking grunt.

Problem with the 240z, minimal weight so getting it to hook up will be challenge in itself... Should be giggles of fun!

-The Stig-
11-28-2002, 03:18 PM
I'll add that, if we wanted high revs, we could build a 327.

They turn high RPMs, like in the 6500-7000rpm range if built right.

Or, take a 400block swap in a 350crank. Make a 377ci. which is just like a 327 but with 50ci more displacement.

The shop that built my 383, offers a 377 option for road racers.

it makes 502hp @ 6500rpm 462ft-lbs@ 4500rpm :eek:

only costs $3525.00 too.

Go Speed-o-Motive! (http://www.speedomotive.com/chevy_400_destroked_to_377.htm)

Grendel
11-28-2002, 04:01 PM
Damn... 6500-7000 is screaming for a V8... I can only imagine what that would sound like :)

Still, the guys that were discussing the SR20 swap said it should fit in the engine bay behind the shock towers... dunno if they were right, but that would affect the handling for sure...

I dunno if it would make it handle better or worse without all the weight over the wheels... *shrugs*

-Grendel

TerminalVelocity
11-29-2002, 06:25 AM
well, if you rrreeeaaaalllyyyy want it, do it

Just keep in mind, yer nova isnt going anywhere at this rate...

-The Stig-
11-29-2002, 02:16 PM
Uh yes I know this haha.

Plan is Finish Nova, Buy Z, Do Swap, Sell Truck...

Then.. mass rallying.

TerminalVelocity
11-29-2002, 02:27 PM
ok :p

Bastard, now I have to get that mustang, and take that 460 and make my own mounts, and my own bell hosing.....GO FORD GO!

But yah, I'd love to see ya do it, and i'd help if ya needed it....i'm just extremly sceptical :flash:

fast240z
11-29-2003, 03:12 PM
As you said, the V8 240z would just come up to 90% of cars and give them the :finger4: then :wave: goodbye.

While still getting mid 20mpg.

How about 100% of the cars which have the displeasure to come up next to me.

Mark

-The Stig-
11-29-2003, 04:34 PM
How about 100% of the cars which have the displeasure to come up next to me.

Mark

Nice '71 Mark...

I've got a '72 240z myself now... Stock as hell but that's ok. It's fun to drive. Contimplating LT1/T-56 swap myself... t'would be cool.

carguyinok
11-29-2003, 06:23 PM
It looks like you all have some strong plans for the 240Z. IMO jags that run is a damn good book for the V-8 swap. BUY IT and read it cover-cover. Then you wont hit any roadblocks when it comes time for turning the bolts. Another thing you may want to do some homework on is the Scarab Z. It was a company in cali. that did in house conversions in the mid 70's. They also sold do it yourself kit's by mailorder. I had the chance back in 95 to put some miles on a true scarab. I will tell you now it's worth the work :naughty: That damn car would kick the as end out at over 60 MPH without even trying. I put around 150 miles on it that day and it started a love that wont die :grinyes:
It has taken me years of hunting just to find the car to start with. So many 240z's are just rusty parts cars that would just snap in half with any real power in them. So beware and be picky in what you get for your shell. I have changed my mind on motors three times now. First was a LT1 with a five speed. Then I had a line on a Ford SHO 6 cyl. That would be a killer motor in a Z if you had mega bucks. They can spin a rpm of well over 10g all day long. But parts are big money so that went out the window. Then I found a thunderbird sc with the supercharged 6.
Thought I had it made there fuel injection and supercharged in one nice package. After getting a closer look the supercharger case was cracked.
Turns out I was lucky there. Started looking for parts and found out ford no longer sells parts for it. So that went out the window :uhoh:
Now after TONS of homework I am going with a GM 4.3 V-6. Hell I have even pulled apart a 5.7 and 4.3 on the same bench. The 4.3 is 100% a 5.7 with the front two cyl. cut off. That makes parts easy and on the cheap side. I am just going to buy every thing for a 5.7 pistons rods lifters the works. Then I get 2 cyl. worth of new spare parts up front.
Now the kicker, I am going low compression for a twin turbo on the 4.3.
After crunching the numbers it will be just shy of the stock inline six by about 15lbs and put out 450hp EASY with mild boost :evillol: It has been done by GM in the GMC cyclone :iceslolan
The big pain in the azz at this time is getting the rearend. More then anything I want to use the jag IRS with the brakes just off the gearbox.
It can take the HP and the clean look of NO brake behind the rear wheel is just hot IMO People see that and there like :eek7: WTF.
Anyway thats the plan for mine. 4.3 twin turbo five speed and jag IRS.
P.S. If anyone is looking I am selling my richmond GM 6 speed $1800.00 OBO over 3gs new.

jimberjam
01-24-2004, 02:03 AM
What about other Nissan engine options? Like an RB series or one of the new VQ v6's? I think that'd be more interesting than a small block Chevy conversion, because everyone uses chevy v8's. If you really need a v8, I hear the VQ-based 5.6 v8 in the new Titan is really strong.

carguyinok
01-24-2004, 10:03 AM
What about other Nissan engine options? Like an RB series or one of the new VQ v6's? I think that'd be more interesting than a small block Chevy conversion, because everyone uses chevy v8's. If you really need a v8, I hear the VQ-based 5.6 v8 in the new Titan is really strong.

I feel the #1 reason for the V-8 swap is the fact that a V-8 will almost just bolt in :naughty: It's even been said by many people that the early Z was ment to get a V-8. But never did due to the new EPA rules of the 70's. :banghead:
For the RB swaps. Yes some people have done it. But the amount of work that takes makes most peoples heads hurt just thinking about it. It's FAR from a bolt in swap. Plus just getting a RB here in the states is just this side of an act of god :eek7:
I agree that the newer V-6's & V-8's from Nissan would be a nice match. From what I have seen there just to wide :banghead: So here again it would call for a TON of custom fab work. Plus the cost of repair and or parts.
For me, I know I only need to bolt in parts for the swap. This way if later in life I get the want to put the matching number motor\trans back in I can :naughty: With the way the market for the rust free 240Z is growing. I feel that keeping stock parts to bring it back some day is a good option to have. If you go cutting it up for a swap that wont happen. :nono:

-The Stig-
01-24-2004, 10:32 AM
I'm looking into the RB25/26DETT swap... Not going to say much untill I've talked to the guy again.

If his price quote to me was accurate, the heart of Godzilla may soon sit inbetween the fenders. :evillol:

datsunadict
01-31-2004, 12:24 AM
Who here has actually done this conversion??

I have a 78 280Z with the L28 built to the nuts. I am wondering if the sale of this engine and tranny would be enough to help finance the SBC conversion for my car??

Can somebody give me a list of things i would need to do a swap, including what manufacturers make the parts, and how i can get them.

If anybody knows of a book in circulation that spells it out, that would be nice.

-The Stig-
02-01-2004, 01:43 AM
Who here has actually done this conversion??

I have a 78 280Z with the L28 built to the nuts. I am wondering if the sale of this engine and tranny would be enough to help finance the SBC conversion for my car??

Can somebody give me a list of things i would need to do a swap, including what manufacturers make the parts, and how i can get them.

If anybody knows of a book in circulation that spells it out, that would be nice.

Jags That Run (http://www.jagsthatrun.com/)

Go there, they have a book on swapping Chevy V8's into Datsuns. They also sell kits to do so.

If you're truely interested in doing the swap, I urge you to buy the book and read it cover to cover before beginning. Just so you know what you're getting into and you don't get stuck in the middle of your project and quit.

Good Luck, Hopefully soon I'll have a LT1/T-56 swap into my Z. I've given up on the hopes of a RB26DETT swap. Just the cost alone of swapping in the Skyline motor would be alot, then the fact that if anything were to happen to it. Parts costs would be mega expensive. So I'll stick to the much lighter and highly effective Chevy LT1 350 and a Borg-Warner T-56 Six speed.

Soon is a relative term... it may never happen but a guy can dream can't he? :p

carguyinok
02-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Good Luck, Hopefully soon I'll have a LT1/T-56 swap into my Z. I've given up on the hopes of a RB26DETT swap. Just the cost alone of swapping in the Skyline motor would be alot, then the fact that if anything were to happen to it. Parts costs would be mega expensive. So I'll stick to the much lighter and highly effective Chevy LT1 350 and a Borg-Warner T-56 Six speed.

Forget that six speed man :nono: I had the richmond 6 speed for mine. But after fighting with it for many try's the fit was just wrong :banghead: It was a choice of place the motor way to far forward, or cut a new shifter hole :disappoin Dont take it wrong. This is just a warning from the been there done that club :banghead:
The big pain in the azz is the rearend. The old school scarab Z's used the T-bird rear end. Others have used the corvette IRS. Then there is the odd people like me thats saving up for the JAG IRS :iceslolan
Thats funny you bring up the jags that run book. I told him the same thing. Read it cover to cover many times then start sleeping with it.
Your Z should shit n get with the LT1 under the hood. The only warning I have there. The cost of parts for the LT1 can be REAL high :eek:
I just helped a buddy with his rebuild. All said and done with a mild cam being the only aftermarket change. The rebuild ran just over $1500. In NO WAY am I saying it's a bad motor. Only that they are money pit's.
I think the main thing to keep in mind. DO IT FOR THE FUN OF IT.

carguyinok
02-01-2004, 11:15 AM
This is what I am looking to use. For now just working on setting the money aside for it.

http://www.heidts.com/images/heiirs1.gif

-The Stig-
02-01-2004, 01:44 PM
True, an LT1 can cost you alot to rebuild it I suppose. But when compared to that of a RB26DETT... it's a cheap motor to maintain.

And I'm willing to wrestle with the LT1/T-56 combo, Cause I can get the two as a pair for a fairly decent price.

How much does that Jaguar Rear end cost? I've seen those used on Hotrods and the such, very trick.

carguyinok
02-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Very true on the repair cost RB vs. LT1. Plus you dont need to make a new front cross member or custom oil pan.
For the jag IRS. You should be able (with some hunting) to find one form a wrecking yard for under a grand. Look for the V-12 coupe. The one in the pic is brand new 0 miles with a choice of gears. It runs around $3500. . But if you look at it as being the new rear end, disc brakes, coil over suspension, A-arms, and half shafts. IMO thats not a bad price for all that brand new. :2cents:

-The Stig-
02-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Hmmm, So who would I have to contact if I were to want to buy such a rear end? Is there a company that supplies them brand new like the one pictured?

carguyinok
02-01-2004, 03:26 PM
HEIDT'S (http://www.heidts.com/ )
Sorry about that I should have put the link in the last post :screwy:
I think they have it listed online for around 4000 or so. I was talking with one of the shops here in Oklahoma that sell's there parts and they said they could get me set up for the $3500 range.

-The Stig-
02-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Sweet... Now if I can only afford the $4100 for the IRS. :lol:

Thanks for the link.

datsunadict
02-02-2004, 10:57 PM
will that whole rear end actually fit under a Z car?!! that thing is huge. If you acutally get that to fit, let us all know how you did it, cause i would love to do that to mine too.

I like how they moved the brakes in to lower the unsprung weight.

carguyinok
02-03-2004, 10:17 PM
will that whole rear end actually fit under a Z car?!! that thing is huge. If you acutally get that to fit, let us all know how you did it, cause i would love to do that to mine too.

Yes, It will fit. I was at a Datsun show & shine. kicking tires and dreaming :evillol: Anyway, I came across one done with the the true JAG rearend. He said it was no big deal. Other then the mounting bar across the top. That was custom. The bar on the one in the photo is for a box style street rod frame. I have a shop here that charges me $30 an hour for fab work. Parts and labor should run me about $150 on the high side for the bar.
I wish I could say I was even close to that point at this time :rofl: But the motor is first for me. Plus I have started collecting parts for that at this point. Heck I have well over a year in the body shell alone. It's my dream car from way back so it being done slow but well. I wish I was rich :banghead: but I am not :banghead: So it takes time.
I was making good money in vegas and my 73 vette took over 18 months :biggrin: But with taking a year off for school I am down to collecting small parts and putting alittle money aside.

AeroE
02-10-2004, 02:51 PM
i don't know if you guys want a sleeper, you just haven't considered the body. but here is a site with a few body kits. most of the kits have some pretty sexy curves. http://www.reactionresearch.com/automotive.html

Also, i read a book call, making horsepower, or something like that. it's been awhile, but anyway it had TONS of mods that could be done to a SBC at home with a grinder and a few other normal tools. but it also has mods that take money. it is an good read and i would suggest reading it before you drop that v-8 into your Z. unless you don't mind pulling it out again...

-The Stig-
02-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Those kits would be nice if you wanted to change your car over to a Ferrari Replica... No Thanks.

It looks mildly like a GTO, but the roof line is off.

http://www.reactionresearch.com/images/redcoupe01.jpg
http://www.reactionresearch.com/images/redcoupe03.jpg
The Convertible doesn't look so bad... but then you're cutting up the car. Once again... No thanks.
http://www.reactionresearch.com/images/vrposter01.jpg

I like my Datsun just the way it is... classic lines. I wouldn't destory those lines to make a cheap Ferrari replica any day.

AeroE
02-10-2004, 08:02 PM
I like my Datsun just the way it is... classic lines. I wouldn't destory those lines to make a cheap Ferrari replica any day.

i don't know how far into the site you looked but there are a few other kits. the yz

http://www.reactionresearch.com/Fisher%20Firebird/index.htm
http://www.reactionresearch.com/Fisher%20PIR/index.htm

although ted here uses his as an autocross car, it's still streetable.

or the subtle Z body kit.

http://www.reactionresearch.com/subtlezgallery.html
http://www.reactionresearch.com/subtlez.html

i like them both, they keep the body of the Z close enough to where you can tell what it is, but it's still different than most of the other cars you see on the road. AND with the larger rear finders you can mount larger rear tires. if you do the v-8 swap, your going to need as much tire surface area as you can get.

AeroE
02-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Also, i read a book call, making horsepower, or something like that. it's been awhile, but anyway it had TONS of mods that could be done to a SBC at home with a grinder and a few other normal tools. but it also has mods that take money. it is an good read and i would suggest reading it before you drop that v-8 into your Z. unless you don't mind pulling it out again...

i found that book that i was talking about. it's "how to build chevy small blocks on a budget" writen by david vizard. don't know if you guys have ever heard of him, but when i comes to SBC this guy know's his stuff. this book covers everything from how to find the right block at the salvage yards to nitrous oxide ingection and everything in between. also at the end of the book he has a "ten hot engine builds" section. the first one was built for $644 bucks and pushs out around 310 hp at 4500 rpms and has a nice steady 360ish ft/lbs of torque all the way through the rpm range. the tenth engine was build for $2820. it's a 406 race motor that puts out 550 horses at 6,000 rpm and 525 ft/lbs of torque at 5,000 rpms. if you guys have any questions about any of these 10 motors i would be more that willing to read up on it and write back.

-The Stig-
02-12-2004, 12:00 AM
i found that book that i was talking about. it's "how to build chevy small blocks on a budget" writen by david vizard. don't know if you guys have ever heard of him, but when i comes to SBC this guy know's his stuff. this book covers everything from how to find the right block at the salvage yards to nitrous oxide ingection and everything in between. also at the end of the book he has a "ten hot engine builds" section. the first one was built for $644 bucks and pushs out around 310 hp at 4500 rpms and has a nice steady 360ish ft/lbs of torque all the way through the rpm range. the tenth engine was build for $2820. it's a 406 race motor that puts out 550 horses at 6,000 rpm and 525 ft/lbs of torque at 5,000 rpms. if you guys have any questions about any of these 10 motors i would be more that willing to read up on it and write back.

Or we could just buy the book ourselves. :p :iceslolan

Thanks for the links... I saw the Subtle Z kit... it's alrighttt. I like the fact that you get to use wider wheels.

AeroE
02-13-2004, 05:12 PM
Or we could just buy the book ourselves. :p :iceslolan

Man, i'm all about saving money. So that comment was for those people out there that are as thrifty as i am.

V8ZMAN87
03-05-2004, 11:14 PM
were did you get the conversion kit and what do you need to do suspension wise

-The Stig-
03-06-2004, 01:47 AM
were did you get the conversion kit and what do you need to do suspension wise

For the Love of pete...

There are a number of options you could of done to get your information:

1. read the thread.
2. search the forum using the search function.
3. Google.com
4. all of the above.

Gah. JagsThatRun.com (http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html) is where you go to buy your V8 conversion kit.

Buy the book, read it cover to cover. This way you can see if you want to undertake this project. If not you're only out $40 for the book, not $275 for the kit and a cut up car.

SAFE4NOW
03-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Does anyone have one of these cars for sale? Already done?
240z 305 / 350+ conversions. What would / should I expect to pay for one? There are a few on e-bay and autotrader... please fee free to e-mail me directly

Thanks for the info!!

Steve

sfordham@boardwalk-audi.com

CHEVYNUT62
03-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Yea, a V8 Z would be way fun... a SR20 240 would be even better :D

What would you call that? A 200Z or something :p

I would take the SR20 over a V8... I was reading that it weighs about the same as a Ford 5.0, but it loves to rev, and can handle high horsepower...

Whats the redline on a typical SBC?

-Grendel

The 1969 Z28 290 horse 302 with cross ram, 2 4V carbs and solid lift cam would rev to 10,000 for rather long periods with no adverse effects. For larger cubic inches as a 327, 350, or 383...one would need a bit stronger bottom end IE: forged crank, heavier rods, and forged pistons so fatigue wear wouldn't come into play as easily

Add your comment to this topic!