Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tranny Swaps for a 2000 Cavalier

Umutts
08-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi,

I have a 2000 Cavalier with the three speed auto trans that won’t shift out of 1st any more and sometimes won’t reverse either. The 8th digit on the VIN is a 4. I want to yank the power train and replace the tranny. Have seen a lot of four speed auto trans for sale, hardly any three speed ones. I was wondering if anyone knows…can I swap a four speed tranny with the three I have without messing up something in the engine control computer logic? Or is the trans even controlled by a computer in the 2000 Cavalier? The car’s build sheet has a transmission code of “AKC” in block 81. Was hoping I could swap this one for one of the “4T40E” type trannys.

Thx
Umutts

ChemMan
08-27-2007, 06:40 PM
You have checked the fluid level correct?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by build sheet. What you want to look for is on the underside of the spare time cover. It's a bunch of 3 digit codes that tell you all the options on your car. Regardless, I'm 99% sure you have the 3T40 3 speed auto trans. The 4t40e is the 3 speed + overdrive. The 4t40e is fully computer controlled, but as for the 3t40 I'm not sure. At the very least, you would need a computer from a car with the 4t40e, but more than likely there will be other differences as well. I would consult a good transmission shop as to interchangeability, as well as how much a rebuild would cost.

Add your comment to this topic!