Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 trooper tranny question

metomwhou
08-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi guys,
I was changing the oil this evening and decided I'd check the level of the tranny fluid. I knew there wasn't a dip stick so I got under the truck and took the top bolt off, no particular reason, I just guessed that was the overfill bolt. Nothing came out so I thought I might aswell try the other bolt and wham, about two or three quarts came out. It was pretty dark, but still redish. I started looking around for the fill tube and whattya know, there aint one!!
I came here right away to see how bad I messed up and looks like I've gone and shot myself in the foot :shakehead I read up on all the threads I could find about filling and flushing the tranny but couldnt find anything that told whether or not it would be ok to drive this thing over to the garage so I could go ahead get the tranny flushed or topped up. Will I kill it by driving it low on fluid?
Thanks in advance!
Tom

trooperbc
08-10-2007, 01:25 AM
....but couldnt find anything that told whether or not it would be ok to drive this thing over to the garage...

NO.

yeah, you did kind of shoot yourself in the foot, but no permanent damage...but of course don't drive it until you get it filled correctly.

there are two bolts that both look like drain bolts. the higher one is the fill hole and the hole you check for the fluid level. the lower one is the drain hole.
DO NOT CHECK LEVEL WITH ENGINE OFF. ONLY CHECK LEVEL WITH ENGINE RUNNING AND IN NEUTRAL AND WARMED UP AND LEVEL.

so now you'd be better off dropping the pan, changing the filter, and refilling.

but if you really don't want to do all that right now, refill to the correct level and go on your merry way. you have to use a hand pump you can buy at the parts store, or many use a pressurized garden sprayer.

you will be filling it up part way, then checking the level under the above conditions until it just starts to dribble out that check-and-fill hole.

is this enough to get you set, or do you need more info ?

//bc

metomwhou
08-10-2007, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the info! Definitely NOT what I wanted to hear though. Looks like I'll be stuck for a few days because thats my only transport and we live out in the boonies of Stuttgart. I've never seen one of those hand pumps, are they sold in automotive stores or something like Home Depot? We just moved to Germany too so I was hoping I'd be able to drive the 8 or 9 miles to the base garage and have those guys do it right because I know I won't find that pump at the first store I go to.
So, if I have it towed, does it need to be a flatbed?
Tom

metomwhou
10-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Well I got the tranny refilled, had to have it towed because it would only go about 5 miles an hour! Had to move it out of the street, thats how I found that out. So far so good. I went ahead and ordered the filter and gasket kit but it just looks small, compared to the size of the pan. I'll post a picture in the next few days and let you guys see it. Thanks as always for the help.
Tom

atfdmike
10-05-2007, 06:10 AM
For future reference, I have used a rear end fluid bottle like you buy aftermarket rear end dope in and has the cone tip for years to refill rear ends, transfer cases, etc;
I push a clear flexible hose about a foot and a half long onto the cone tip, fill the container with whatever fluid I need to fill with, and then stick the other end of the hose into the fill hole. You can then invert the container and squeeze the bottle and fluid will move into the object being filled. You might have to stop to let air back in to the container or to refill it, but it is cheap and effective. Also, with some types of fluid containers, the screw on cone tip fits the threads so there is no need to transfer fluid from container to container. One guys opinion.

10-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Is this for an auto or manual transmission?

metomwhou
10-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Mine is an auto.

Rmasters3
03-14-2008, 04:00 AM
Try a garden sprayer, clean, of course. I used a 1 gallon and cut off the end of the spray tube; sometimes you can put a small bend in the end. Put your new trans fluid in the sprayer and pump it up. Works like a charm since you have an on/off control valve in the spayer wand.

metomwhou
01-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Ended up having it towed to the shop. They refilled it and I guess its good enough. Does seem to be lacking in "oomph" since my dumba$$ drained the fluid. I've since bought a filter and gasket and plan to replace those in the spring or summer. I'm not planning on doing a flush because from what I've read that would be a no-no at this stage, since its never been done. I'm just gonna drain it and replace the filter/gasket and refill it. See where that gets me. Let you know what happens.
Tom

Add your comment to this topic!