Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

first parts

l0st1
08-07-2007, 02:21 PM
hey i just got a 1998 Cav 2.2 sedan

went from an Saturn SC2 ( i think its an improvement lol )

ne way, i know i want to get an exhaust and an intake, now my question is what should i be looking to get

im thinkin about an AEM cold air intake- should i get the long or short intake? what is the benefits/drawbacks from a long or short intake?

and what kind of exhaust is pretty decent? im not lookin for a loud ricer sound at all, just a good sounding exhaust that gives some better performance.

and lastly should i just get a set of like exhaust ends, or should i go ahead and replace all the way up to the headers? ( im not full of money either so yea???)

Lances133
08-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Don't waste your money. Unless you plan on boosting... 2.2's = shit.

l0st1
08-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Don't waste your money. Unless you plan on boosting... 2.2's = shit.

ok im not car saavy or ne thing- but is there really a huge difference from a 2.2 to a 2.4 in cavaliers? sure a little more horse and more torque, but is there really ne other difference sides that? cuz saying that 2.2's are automatically shit, well that helps me none lol- im not swappin engines, or boosting or w/e, just want a bit more from the car is all?

Lances133
08-07-2007, 05:24 PM
There is a big difference between 2.2s and 2.4s. 2.4s are still slow. Cavaliers are not fast cars at all, unless you turbo, supercharge, or do major internal mods. You're not gonna get any major gains from intakes or exhausts.

Dr.Mambo666
08-07-2007, 05:28 PM
fist off i hate ppl who post "dont waste your money on a 2.2 there shit" Dude hes asking for help not to be turned down by your dumb fucking comment.I'v been smoked by a 9 second cavy at the tracks with my old camaro so stfu! And yes there is a dif. in the cars not just th whp or the torque. The gear ratio on the tranny is dif ect ect. thats why every1 say dont bother with the 2.2l for preformance cuz the z24's can put out more.

ok as for the the stuff you want. I would go cold air(AEM like u mentioned)and as for the exhaust magnaflow or flow master are the more popular brands to get if u want. I like flowmaster better from my experience. and finally the diferance between a cold a short ram is this- the cold air will give you better performance at the mid to higher rpm's and vise versa with the short ram(mid to lower rpm's. And short ram tends to sit in the engay bay while the cold air sits with the fender.

howling phantom
08-07-2007, 05:29 PM
You will get that alot here. Most ppl see the 2.2 as the lesser of engine choices, and those automaticaly shit. You can get a good quality cold air intake on ebay, along with a good set of pacesetter or obx headers. About the biggest difference between the short and long are when they effect preformance. Long seems to be a higher rev type, and the short helps in the lower rpm range. Also, the lond type is what ppl call true cai, as it goes down to the wheel well to draw air outside, while the short draws air from inside the engine bay. I know very little of what different exhausts sound like, so I cant help yea there. Good luck.

Aww, you beat me to the punch mambo, lol

Lances133
08-07-2007, 06:18 PM
ok as for the the stuff you want. I would go cold air(AEM like u mentioned)and as for the exhaust magnaflow or flow master are the more popular brands to get if u want. I like flowmaster better from my experience. and finally the diferance between a cold a short ram is this- the cold air will give you better performance at the mid to higher rpm's and vise versa with the short ram(mid to lower rpm's. And short ram tends to sit in the engay bay while the cold air sits with the fender.

You will get that alot here. Most ppl see the 2.2 as the lesser of engine choices, and those automaticaly shit. You can get a good quality cold air intake on ebay, along with a good set of pacesetter or obx headers. About the biggest difference between the short and long are when they effect preformance. Long seems to be a higher rev type, and the short helps in the lower rpm range. Also, the lond type is what ppl call true cai, as it goes down to the wheel well to draw air outside, while the short draws air from inside the engine bay. I know very little of what different exhausts sound like, so I cant help yea there. Good luck.

Aww, you beat me to the punch mambo, lol
All of which will do absolutly nothing for a 2.2 except make it sound like a raspy ass Honda and give extremely limited gains, if any at all. You fools didn't even mention a resonator and OBX headers? Ya okay, lets all take advice from these 2 Einsteins. But whatever it's your money. Most of us have had 2.2's and after spending thousands of dollars realized what a complete waste it was. But you know what, I was just like you guys. This one kid Bryan would say the same things about 2.2s and I would get so pissed and I fought with him everytime I logged on but in the end he was right, no matter if people wanted to hear it or not, it really is a complete waste of money to do performance mods on a 2.2 *unless you turbo, supercharge, or do heavy internal work* And Mr.666, I don't give a damn what you, or the next guy who comes along says. The only things people should do "performance-wise" on a 2.2 (if not boost) is a cheap ass ebay intake and a nice shiney exhaust tip. But whatever, it's your guys money to waste, you'll regret it later tho. I promise.

l0st1
08-07-2007, 06:31 PM
well guys thanks for helping me out, but Lances133, what i dont understand is that you say its a total waste of money, and ur sounding like i wont notice a change at all- but ya know ill go ahead and waste my money- cuz i believe (even if im wrong) that when you put better parts on anything, its gonna run better- im not a street racer, this is just my get around car, and i want a bit more for when my friends and i are racing around

Lances133
08-07-2007, 06:36 PM
My final comment - Cheap ebay intake, shiney exhaust tip. If you really wanna mod your car, stick to exterior and interior mods.

jakegday
08-07-2007, 10:28 PM
the people that always say the 2.2 isnt worth upgrading, like me and lance and whoever else, are simply speaking from experience, we have all invested money in a 2.2/2200 and feel that if we can save someone from wasting their money, why not try to help them....

jakegday
08-07-2007, 10:29 PM
the diferance between a cold a short ram is this- the cold air will give you better performance at the mid to higher rpm's and vise versa with the short ram(mid to lower rpm's.

lol, where did you hear that?

colder air gives you more performance no matter what, no matter how fast your engine is spinning

howling phantom
08-08-2007, 12:56 AM
But i belive that this guy isnt going for extreme preformance like yall. He doesnt want to have his 2.2 putting out 300hp. Just a few little things that give small gains for relatively modest prices. He prob doesnt want a racer, just something that he worked on, got allitle out of it, likes it, and thats all. Dang, thats no thousand dollar thing, but something called enjoyment.

l0st1
08-08-2007, 01:25 AM
But i belive that this guy isnt going for extreme preformance like yall. He doesnt want to have his 2.2 putting out 300hp. Just a few little things that give small gains for relatively modest prices. He prob doesnt want a racer, just something that he worked on, got allitle out of it, likes it, and thats all. Dang, thats no thousand dollar thing, but something called enjoyment.

u hit it right on the head lol!

Add your comment to this topic!