Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Liberty powerless?

Jay MC
07-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Has anyone else had problems with this model losing power when you go up hills or excelerate when highway driving? the car starts shuddering then losing power and in some cases has stopped. Have had car to several mechanics and even Subaru itself! No one seems to have any answers and Over the years It has costs me heaps to have the same problem looked at.I am now out of $$$$. Besides getting to work, my dad is dying and I really need my car to travel to him every week but the car is only reliable for driving around town. An auto electician informed us today that he has had 3 Liberties with the same problem and can't find out whats wrong. He suggested we try the internet. It has been the best car ever other than this problem.

bigkev1960
09-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Has anyone else had problems with this model losing power when you go up hills or excelerate when highway driving? the car starts shuddering then losing power and in some cases has stopped. Have had car to several mechanics and even Subaru itself! No one seems to have any answers and Over the years It has costs me heaps to have the same problem looked at.I am now out of $$$$. Besides getting to work, my dad is dying and I really need my car to travel to him every week but the car is only reliable for driving around town. An auto electician informed us today that he has had 3 Liberties with the same problem and can't find out whats wrong. He suggested we try the internet. It has been the best car ever other than this problem. i have the same problem my self / i had a guy fit a low klm engine in mine due to head gasget problems and when i got it back i still had this problem slight gradent it would shudder and sometimes stop but turn the key and away it would go... when i took it back he had the car for a week and gave me some bull saying its problerly the automatic transmisson so i left it.
18 months went by and the auto transmisson box had problems so i had it overahalled $2800.00 and when i drove down the road i still had the problem. anyway now knowing its not the engine or transmisson i started looking in to it my self i bought a service manual cleared the ecu memory and went to the favorite hill it dont like came back and read the error codes
22 and 41 system faults 22 = the knock sensor circuit so i checked this out and found that the resistance should be 560k ohm to earth it was but it was not constant .. checked the wiring as it runs across the engine to a spade connector then on again the the wiring harness i cleaned both connections with circuit spray and cleard the memory and back to the hill
and up she went "thats it i thought" but after driving around for 2 or 3 days it happend again but not as frequent . so i feel its a combination of sensor /sensors and wiring connection problems: and makes it hard to pin point.
i only get a while to have a tinker but have made it better the problem is that there is about 5 sensors and they all control the engine in one way or another / and the fault codes give you a bum steer/ as one can cause another one to fail / so check the cables and connectors first i will keep you informed when i check out futher

Add your comment to this topic!