Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

If I use 1 1/2" shackles, will I actually GET

Ramblin Fever
05-29-2007, 11:37 AM
a 1 1/2" lift on the rear or will I only get a 1/2" lift?

I've read in numerous places that if you use a 3" shackle, you'll get an actual 2" lift; and if you use a 2" shackle you'll get a 1" lift??

I want an ACTUAL 1 1/2" lift - and I already ordered 1 1/2" shackles, so is this correct?

I hope so. Otherwise I'm only in for a .5 lift??

On the pureisuzu website/calmini products, it says the 1 1/2 shackles provide a 1 1/2 lift OVER stock - so I'm assuming I'll get my 1 1/2 lift?

Ramblin Fever
05-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Answer is *yes* - according to a Calimini sales rep.

amigo-2k
05-29-2007, 09:42 PM
I wonder how much your stock leaf spring have settled over the past 10 years.....

Ramblin Fever
05-29-2007, 10:15 PM
ssshh! :popcorn:

Thinking the same thing earlier - though, I'm amazed that when I pull up beside a stock Rodeo how much lower it sits in comparison, newer or older one. But most are not running 32" tires either.

I already dwarf Jeep Cherokee's, Ford Explorer's

I really like the height of the front-end now, I already raised it yesterday - drive's a little different though, my guess is because the front is sitting higher then the rear now and so the angle of everything is off-kilter. Least that's what I hope it is, otherwise it may be the front shocks that get replaced.

I should have my hands on the shackles in 4-6 days.

Do I ABSOLUTELY need new bushings?? And, can the alignment wait a week or two, I wouldn't be driving it daily, only maybe a total of 4 times in 2 weeks?

Gizmo42
05-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Bushings would be a really good idea while you have it apart. Once you get it that far apart though you can look to see how bad your stock ones are. Since stock ones are rubber they dont last long, Only takes 2-3 yrs before you see the rubber components degrading.

The alignment might depend on how much its off after the lift. Mine wasnt far off at all so didnt need to be done right away. But since I was off of work I had it done. If its way off your tires can wear pretty quick and a good alignment shop wont do an alignment with tires that are badly worn and not flat across.

Ramblin Fever
05-29-2007, 11:29 PM
How much did you raise yours Giz? Course your front-end's slightly different, but I did 6 turns on each torsion bar.

Gizmo42
05-30-2007, 03:15 PM
I think I ended up with 10 turns each on mine. The 4 turns per inch is pretty accurate on 2nd gen rodeos. On Mikes it was exactly 12 turns for exactly 3". Since I wanted to add some rake I started with 8 turns but it looked too low in front so I kept going a little more till it looked right.

Ramblin Fever
06-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Well, after 10+yrs, think I FINALLY have my Rodeo where I want it!

Got the new shackles & bushings on today, I swear I got more then a 1 1/2", in fact, there's no way it's only 1 1/2" lift - Rodeo sits quite a bit higher then the Tacoma does now.

AND - if the shackles were only supposed to give me 1 1/2" over stock, then why did I have to crank the front 2", with the back still sitting slightly higher?

I didn't plan to dwarf my Toy! But, there's clearly quite a difference in height.

Funny thing, I've read on numerous posts, those that state their truck rides a bit rougher - I feel quite the obvious; however, the old bushings were WAY past over-due. Truck actually rides a lot smoother, and I don't feel every bump/pothole as wickedly.

FWIW - the shackle near the exhaust was the worst, AND, word of wise, if someone has a heavy duty receiver hitch - probably easiest to remove it first.

Add your comment to this topic!