Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check Engine Light.... no code??

SteveStLoo
05-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey all..

I have a 1994 Cavalier that recently threw the CEL, about 10 seconds after it goes out after a start.

I shorted the ALDL as prompted by everything I've read, and nothing I do can get it to tell me what the code is for!

Im pretty sure its the right port.. 12 pin, under the dash... and I've looked at at least a dozen diagrams of the connector.. and still nothing! Does this mean something is fried somewhere? Lol.. any input helps!

Steve S

OverAllComa
05-15-2007, 01:31 AM
That means 1 of 2 things. Either you're not doing it right or something's REALLY wrong. If memory serves you jump the pins, not short them. I thought it was the 12 pin and the 11 pin, but don't quote me on that.

SteveStLoo
05-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Tried it again, and nothing!!!

I am going to try Autozone, and see if they can pick up anything.

Are there any known errors that would cause the light to go on, but no code?

The light comes on about 10 seconds after the engine is started.. it's so odd. I tightened the gas cap... nothing.. :/

OverAllComa
05-16-2007, 10:30 AM
It should store a code. And even if it didn't store a code it would flash code 12, indicating its about to show you what codes it has stored.

SteveStLoo
05-16-2007, 12:50 PM
That's what I figured! The only thing I really did that COULD have caused it to come on (aside of a real problem) is when I was changing the instrument panel bulbs, I took out the "Shift UP" Bulb because it was annoyoing. But I dont see why that would matter (Or could it...?)

SteveStLoo
05-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Enough reading has led me to realize that.. in 1994, some cars (Including Cavaliers)... some were OBD-I with OBD-I ports, and some were OBD-II with ODB-I ports. MY guess is that I have the OBD-II and an OBD-I Port..

Which sucks because I have an OBD-II Scan Tool, but it obviously won't fit. I wonder if there's an adapter or something... >:|!!!

Steve

SteveStLoo
06-08-2007, 05:34 PM
That's what I figured! The only thing I really did that COULD have caused it to come on (aside of a real problem) is when I was changing the instrument panel bulbs, I took out the "Shift UP" Bulb because it was annoyoing. But I dont see why that would matter (Or could it...?)
I have to know... COULD changing the shift up bulb cause a problem??!? The Check Engine light was off when I parked it. I changed the illumination bulbs, took out the "Shift Up" bulb, and started it, and the light came on. Is that something that would trigger the light? :(

Add your comment to this topic!