Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 V8 4.6L needing a purge solenoid?

Caramon32
05-05-2007, 12:44 AM
I have been through the headache already of having the air flow sensor replaced and the puter reset, now I have the same error codes of running too lean again! ARGH!

I took it in to get another diag done and the guy told me that I need to replace my purge solenoid along with the update part...
he also told me that I need a Fuel injection induction cleaning...I find that hard to believe cause I just had that done in February.

So my questions...

1) What the heck is that purge solenoid and where is it at?
2) Could that have caused my intakes to become clogged again to where I need another injector cleaning?

I feel that I am being taken for granted with the damn mechanics so I'd like to do the work myself this time...any help would be appreciated!

97Bird
05-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Take your car to Autozone or somewhere that will check for trouble codes to get an idea of what is wrong. A purge solenoid is located between the charcoal canister and the intake. It allows gas fumes from the tank to be purged. I don't know exactly where it is on your car or if it has one.

Caramon32
05-05-2007, 01:31 PM
I have already done that. It was the p0171 and p0174 codes which relate to the mix being too lean. After reading about similiar problems, I think it may be the O2 sensors...

Add your comment to this topic!