Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Special lug nuts?

lopht
04-30-2007, 03:57 PM
I had winter tires put on a few months ago by Tirecraft (tires and rims) and now I go to swap them for my factory tires and notice that there is one special lug nut on each tire that cannot be removed without a special wrench / attachment. I've looked through my Trailblazer and couldn't find anything that helps. Is this factory or is this something Tirecraft uses? Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Am I crazy?

gmpartsman
04-30-2007, 08:10 PM
It's called a locking lug nut, or a wheel lock, or a security lug nut. Tirecraft probably put them on, as I haven't seen an TBs w/ factory locks (I work at a GM dealership). Contact the Tirecraft to see if they have the key tool to remove them, or a record of what lock they may have installed so they can order a replacement key. Unless you live in a high crime area, I would have Tirecraft replace the locks with a factory lug nut, as the keys always seem to come up missing, and at the most inopportune times ( i.e. when you have a flat on the side of the road in the rain!)

rodeo02
04-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Did you ever touch the wheels before on this truck? You should have a 'key' with a hex nut end that allows you to remove those locking lug nuts. I doubt a tire shop would throw a set of locking lugs on without you knowing!:banghead: Years ago I worked for McGard Inc, a major manufacturer of locking lugs. If they could see what you have, they could match you up with a key if you lost the documentation associated with them. Non-McGards? I have no idea. Gotta grind flats, weld a nut or break them off somehow.

Joel

lopht
05-01-2007, 09:23 AM
I've never touched the tires before this, and searched the vehicle for a key and couldn't find one. My thought was the same... what happens when I'm in the middle of nowhere with a flat and have no way to change my own tire? Plus, who is stealing winter tires with cheap steel wheels anyway? I'll call Tirecraft. Thanks!

fortcarp
05-01-2007, 03:59 PM
BTW if anyone is wondering...like me, the recommended torque for the lugs is 103 ft pounds, final torque. Don't wanna warp rotors!!

Add your comment to this topic!