Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Testing the TPS on a B15

elitecodex
04-25-2007, 05:46 AM
Hey everyone! Im a new DIY-mechanic in the learning process :) I have an 2002 Sentra (1.8 model). I have an idle problem (idle is surging between 1500 and 2000 rpms). MIL is also on, so I got the code read at Autozone and it came back as P0510 which is a Close Throttle Position Switch Circuit.

So I have this paper that tells me how to test the circuit with a multimeter between the TPS and the ECM. I have a Sperry DM-350a multimeter and am not 100% sure on how to properly test it. I dont want to screw up the ECM and I was told that if I do it wrong, then I can.

So I suppose, here is my question list

1) Im testing for DC voltage correct?

2) What do I use as a ground? Will the car's frame/firewall be ok or does it have to be something specific?

3) What newbie mistakes am I bound to make that will potentially screw up my ECM?

Sorry for the barage of stupid questions... I just don't wanna screw something up :) Thanks alot in advance!!

06chill
04-28-2007, 02:35 PM
the frame or body will work fine......do you have a chart on how to test on this code or do you need one.

elitecodex
04-28-2007, 08:13 PM
I believe that I have it... but Im not 100% sure. Where could I find one just to make sure?

06chill
04-28-2007, 11:51 PM
i work for a nissan dealer so i could get it from our assist wich is the computer program we use to work on them

06chill
05-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Overall Function Check UBS001YY
Use this procedure to check the overall function of the closed throttle position switch circuit. During this check,
a 1st trip DTC might not be confirmed.
WITHOUT CONSULT-II
1. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
2. Check the voltage between ECM terminal 40 (Closed throttle
position switch signal) and ground under the following condi-tions.
3. If NG, go to EC-984, "Diagnostic Procedure" .
Condition Voltage
At idle Battery voltage
At 2,000 rpm Approximately 0V

Add your comment to this topic!