Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4x2 to 4x4

kietaris
03-20-2007, 11:52 PM
i have a 95 5 speed manual rodeo and i am tired of it geting stuck. is it possible to convert it to a 4x4?? if so what years will fit. i know i will need front and back difs and the transmission but what else if it is possible. I only paid $100 for it and i am a mechanic so there is no labor charge i have to worry about but i am not to familar with it and hoped some one could tell me and save me some time.

Ramblin Fever
03-21-2007, 12:02 AM
What kind of terrain are you getting stuck in?

I have a '97 Rodeo 4x2 with 32" Yokohama A/T tires, I carry about 200# of sand tubes in the back during nasty winter storms here in Colorado, and aside from snow, I've been through mud, sand, up steep dirt mountain trails, and she's seen her share of river beds, sandy beaches, and even some desert caves when we lived in the southwest - I have yet to EVER get stuck in this truck.

She was one of two trucks I used during our Blizzard here in Colorado, some 24-28" of snow to pull out other cars, vans, suv's off snowbanks/ditches.

I once owned a '91 Rodeo 4x4 for 12yrs; fantastic truck as well - only 3 times do I ever remember putting it IN 4-wheel; she endured same life as my '97. In fact, the two trucks used to follow one-another up mountain passes, through some old mine shafts.

FWIW - however, you're probably better off just looking around for another Rodeo; cost of parts alone you could find another older one.

kietaris
03-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Mud is what i get stuck in. i have new tires on it but thats not enough to go where my friends go. i am not worried about the cost of parts. there is always some one that has what you need and don't really want anything for them but is it possible???

Ramblin Fever
03-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Yes, it's possible, most definitely - if money's not a factor.

And, I'm very curious how it turns out.

Your best bet is to ask this question in the Isuzu forum over at 4x4wire and/or Planetisuzu.com

Keep me posted.

kietaris
03-21-2007, 07:07 PM
thanks for the info, i will check the other forums, and i will let you know how it turns out.

kietaris
03-21-2007, 07:44 PM
will a 93 rodeo work i found one of them just now. the motor is locked and the interior is completely striped but the rest of the drive tran is fine.

Add your comment to this topic!