Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

so many problems -.-

hahapopcorn
03-12-2007, 03:40 AM
Hi, my car has a few problems and am wondering what could possibly be the solution to these problems, im also paranoid that it might be crankwalk =/. its a 95 talon awd tsi 130,xxx miles w/ 92 head/transmission.

#1 Gas pedal is stiff (throttle cable effed up)

#2 It always grinds when i put it into reverse (if i put it in first before reverse it does not grind)

#3 when i first start to drive the car the first 5 mins or so some of the gears are blocked out. I can eventually get it into the bottom gears (2nd/4th.. ) but 1st seems to get stuck the most often (during the first 5 minutes of driving when i finally get it into first its also hard to take it back OUT of first). after about 5 mins of driving shifting is back to normal for the rest of the day. The linkage thing on the bottom of my shortshifter is broken, could that possibly be the cause?

#4 ticking noise (havn't clarified where its coming from yet) it comes and goes and the pace of the ticking gets faster when i rev higher.

#5 at times the RPM gets unstable while idle, it gets really low and sometimes stalls w/ clutch in, it has only happened once or twice (hasn't stalled since i fixed the vacuum hose and got new plugs but rpm still drops, just not nearly as often)

#6 check engine light is on. some people told me that it has something to do with the ECU and the 92 parts of the engine (checking it out tomorrow after work)

I am putting in new spark plug wires/ new short shifter..hopefully that will clear up a couple things =/ but could this possibly be symptoms of crankwalk?

I just noticed i made this post quite long. Sorry and thank you to anyone who had took the time to read this, anyones advice would be greatly appreciated.

david-b
03-12-2007, 11:02 AM
1) Get new throttle cable. If you don't use cruise control, pull that out too and get a non CC cable. It's just easier that way.

2) & 3) Fix the broken problems first. The linkage plays a huge role in shifting, so that could be the cause of many of your problems here. If not, could be a clutch or throw out bearing problem. Was the tranny professionally installed at a shop? Also check to make sure you have tranny fluid in there.

4) Sounds like lifter tick. When you replaced the head, was it a stock swap? Used? Miles? Need more info here. Also where's it coming from. Sounds like lifter tick though if coming from the head.

5) Sounds like there's still a vac leak somewhere. How low do the rpms drop? Is it while rolling or only idle at a stop?

6) Get the CEL tested and see what that says. That may just tell you what #5 is about.

Do the fixes you're going to do, then see how everything is. Get that CEL checked out right away though. That will tell you something. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!