Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Header Removal

Hell0b0b
12-31-2006, 03:58 AM
How the hell do i get my header off? I have access to all of the bolts except for the one on the far left and i have no idea how to get at it. Anyone know any tricks or should I have an automotive shop do it for me?

tagman11
01-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Lol, I had to get mine done professionally. Couple of things:
If you have copper gaskets, GET RID OF THEM. Buy a Felpro or something decent. A stock exhaust manifold gasket will do the job. As for getting it off, 2 important things are removing the oil dipstick and the radiator fan shroud. This is the only way I've seen to do it. Even so, I had to pay a specialized exhaust shop $250 for them to do it because it was a 3-4 hour job. I looked at it myself, and it is frankly just ridiculous. If you think you can tackle it, go for it. Just keep in mind you'll probably have to do a fair amount of rigging and there's a lot of things that can get broken (throttle cables and what not.)
Good luck!

Markb873
01-04-2007, 01:33 AM
Stupid and unrelated but I had a geo that had a 15/32 size bolt on the back under the pipe. No prayer of getting that off with any normal tools. Not enough clearance for sockets and that size happens to be just bigger then the metric equivelant so I couldn't find a wrench that would hold onto a rusty manifold stud. I was glad to convert to Ford, It's the same age now but the bolts still come out which is the main thing. Runs much better too.

Add your comment to this topic!