Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Wandering

bebobullet
12-15-2006, 03:02 PM
I have a 92 with a 3.0L Manual Transmission 130K miles. It has recently started wandering down the road. It used to track straight and true. I have repacked the front wheel bearings. They are nice and tight and so are the tie-rod ends. I replaced the fluid in the rear differential. It was dark gray and foamy. I took the rear brakes off and tested the bearings. They are nice and tight, no slop. Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time.

trooperbc
12-15-2006, 08:32 PM
i still :rolleyes: say the trailing links (arms) as a posssibility. see itog response for my experience and diagnosis rationale

//bc

bebobullet
12-16-2006, 03:59 PM
I checked the trailing arms and the control arms and everything is nice and tight.

Ramblin Fever
12-16-2006, 04:38 PM
You didn't mention shocks - what's their condition?

Front end alignment done recently?

Also, how old/new are your tires?

Make sure the psi in both front tires is the same, also check to see if pressure's too high - i.e. over 42psi is too much and will make the truck feel like it's floating/wandering.

bebobullet
12-16-2006, 05:30 PM
The front shocks are fine. The rears are really weak. Ordered replacements. No recent alignment done. The tires are 5 years old and have 40 pounds in each.

Ramblin Fever
12-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Tires at/around 5yrs old? They may have tread left, but I bet they've gone or are going bad internally.

I have this same problem on my boat trailer - tires never actually WEAR out persay, but they always rot either externally or internally at around 5-6yrs.

I bet changing the rear shocks & new tires may do wonders.

The 40psi cold is perfect; I run mine around 36-40psi depending on if I'm loaded down or not.

bishop242
12-23-2006, 07:31 AM
I had the same problem on my 91. It was the steeroing box. The adjustment bolt needed a turn or so. Tightened everything right up.

atfdmike
12-24-2006, 09:07 AM
If you have had the alignment checked and the tires are good with proper air and no evidence of tire cupping or uneven wear, then I would concur with bishop that you need to take some backlash out of the steering gear. It is not too tricky, but you don't want to move it too far, just enough to take the slack out of the gears. If you go too far, you are liable to feel some unevenness (sp?) as you turn the steering wheel. A quarter turn at a time is the most I would suggest. One owners opinion.....I did it on my 94.

bebobullet
01-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Replaced the rear shocks and tried summer tires. Problem is not as bad, but still not as true tracking as it was. Will try tightening the steering box, but it really feels like the rear end is wandering when above 45 MPH.

trooperbc
01-04-2007, 05:27 PM
Replaced the rear shocks and tried summer tires. Problem is not as bad, but still not as true tracking as it was. Will try tightening the steering box, but it really feels like the rear end is wandering when above 45 MPH.

OK, then i'll reintroduce my pet possible diagnosis

I checked the trailing arms and the control arms and everything is nice and tight.

did you check the 'shape' of the trailing arms. are they straight? with no bends or crimps ?

//bc

bebobullet
01-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Inspected the trailing arms and everything is straight and true with no dings. Tightened the steering gear box adjustment screw 1/2 turn. Tracks down the road like it should. New rear shocks and adjusting the steering gear box was the answer. Thanks everyone for your help!

bishop242
01-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Good work bullet. Always nice when we can help each other avoid costly shop diagnostics! Put all of our heads together and we would probably make one heck of an Isuzu tech!

Inspected the trailing arms and everything is straight and true with no dings. Tightened the steering gear box adjustment screw 1/2 turn. Tracks down the road like it should. New rear shocks and adjusting the steering gear box was the answer. Thanks everyone for your help!

Add your comment to this topic!