Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bad news for Jiffy Lube customers

highlandlake
12-13-2006, 07:37 PM
This five-minute video posted today is of an undercover news crew finding that most Jiffy Lubes royally rip off the customer with 'extra' services that are paid for but aren't performed. Some of you were skeptical about such places for good reason, but not everyone can replace fuel filters and flush transmissions themselves. Just passing this along, fore-warned is fore-armed.

www.nbc4.tv/video/9152183/detail.html

Ramblin Fever
12-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Or not everyone has the time/place to do their own flushes/filters, etc I understand totally.

I prefer to do my own, but there were/are times that I don't always have the time, in which I take my two import trucks to the only import mechanic, or *mechanic* I've ever trusted - he charges a bit more for that type of stuff then say Firestone, Goodyear, etc but it's worth it for peace of mind.

My diesel's fluids are swapped out by a family relative who works on/owns/repairs diesels on the side as a hobby. He doesn't charge didly - irregardless what fluid he's dropping.

Gizmo42
12-13-2006, 11:54 PM
I've seen that one before. The reporter and their "expert" are freakin morons to begin with.

Watch it again, the "fuel filter" they marked is the FUEL PUMP! Of course it isnt going to be changed. When is the last time you had to drop the fuel tank to replace the filter?

There were other things that iffy lube did wrong, but that part really stood out to me.

highlandlake
12-14-2006, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Gizmo42]I've seen that one before. The reporter and their "expert" are freakin morons to begin with.

Watch it again, the "fuel filter" they marked is the FUEL PUMP! Of course it isnt going to be changed. When is the last time you had to drop the fuel tank to replace the filter? QUOTE]

On the late 90's Jeep Cherokees the fuel filter is in the tank, as is the fuel pressure regulator. They must have picked that model deliberately to use in their sting.

Gizmo42
12-14-2006, 05:19 PM
I asked someone with a '98 cherokee about that and he said it was the fuel pump they were marking in the video. Said his fuel filter was in the engine compartment.

I dont know personally, just going on what others tell me.

2000izusu
12-14-2006, 08:12 PM
I asked someone with a '98 cherokee about that and he said it was the fuel pump they were marking in the video. Said his fuel filter was in the engine compartment.

I dont know personally, just going on what others tell me.

97+ did away with the unibody mounted (external) filter. they have a filter one with the pump, good for life of the pump. usually you have to replace the whole module because nobdy sells just the filter. thats why they marked the pump. now 97 and earlier have the filter mounted under the back seat, on the outside. the fuel injected inline six never had it in the engine compartment, unless you count carborated 4.2's in hornets, and cj-7's etc... mike

p.s. the news channel set them up pretty good because no jiffy lube is going to take down a gas tank to change a filter. jiffy lube should know what models don't have easily changed out filters.

get used to it because alot of manufactures are going to a " lifetime" (my a##) fuel filter in the tank. just like "sealed" automatic transmissions,

surferfletch
12-14-2006, 08:21 PM
From what I understand, my fuel filter is in the tank in my '97 TJ. I've heard it described as a sock type of filter.

Gizmo42
12-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Learn something new every day. Making me more and more glad I didnt buy a heep.

Add your comment to this topic!