Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Sport brake job

johngyver
12-12-2006, 01:53 PM
I am about to do my 2001 Roeo Sport 4x4... v6 w/ AT. I have 4 disc brakes and look to replace with ceramic pads and new rotors. Are there any "tricks" to the Rodeo brake job that I should be aware of OR is this a fairly standard brake job? I know some vehicles have unique little quirks about the installation process. Thanks for any info guys!!!

johngyver

amigo-2k
12-12-2006, 04:21 PM
what is wrong with the rotors?

surferfletch
12-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Mine really pulse on moderate to hard stopping. I haven't had them machined in 158K. I'm wondering if it makes more sense to just replace them rather than machine them.

johngyver
12-12-2006, 04:58 PM
I went to Sears Auto for a $139 brake job (pending inspection of course) where they slapped me with a $900 quote for 4 new rotors and pads installed. (No bearings packed or anything else!!!!) According to them the rotors where below the thickness specs for resurfacing. So I found all the goodies at Oreilly Auto Parts for $198 plus tax (ceramic pads too). What drove me into Sears was the brand new sound of grinding metal.... one of the rear pads is history and is grinding pretty bad. So I am gearing up for a big brake job on my 2001 4x4. I know that some cars are tricky... I just wanna know what I may be in for before taking the wheels off.

johngyver

surferfletch
12-12-2006, 07:18 PM
You might have some work to do with the caliper slide pins. I had a sticky one which led to quick wear of one rear pad. Good luck!

Ramblin Fever
12-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Are you sure you need rotors, or was Sears just throwing extra stuff?

Nothing tricky on the '97yr anyways; and FWIW, I'm still on original OEM rotors at 165k miles, don't look to be needing changed either.

I have heavy duty Akabono Ceramic brake pads frnt/rear, been on for 30k miles - just looked at them tonight when I had the tires rotated, still look like new.

Surferfletch - at that mileage, I'd just put on new rotors; sometimes machining them down doesn't last for long. When the time comes that mine need it, I'm just going to replace them seeing as they'll probably be 12-13yrs old by then.

surferfletch
12-13-2006, 03:35 PM
No pusing when you brake Ramblin'? Have you had yours turned?

Ramblin Fever
12-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Nope no pulsing; have never had them turned. They are 100% original - have had 3 sets of brake pads though front & rear.

Now my 1st Rodeo went through rotors & brakes constantly; that pedal pulsated for sure, I can still remember how it felt to this day and how we would dread it.

Every 8-12mnths or so - for nearly 12yrs, it either needed new brakes/rotors, or most of the time, both. ONLY reason I kept dealing with this, is otherwise it was a very good vehicle - but those rotors were always a problem. Got to be less of an issue when we put some real heavy duty brakes on it, but then we also stopped taking it to the mountains as often too.

surferfletch
12-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Thanks.

iskiuskiweski
12-17-2006, 06:52 PM
I had the the same pulsation, I just did the whole front. New rotors, new pads, and new bearings. It really wasn't that bad. Thanks to this and the wheel bearing proceedure on planet isuzu having all the right tools from the begining, it was a breeze. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!