Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What do you use to clean your B16, B18 valve cover?

DOHCGSR
08-30-2001, 10:32 PM
What do you use to clean your B16, B18 valve cover ? what gets the job done without stripping off the paint on the valve cover like I did and get oil residues off ? what product is best when cleaning in the engine bay?

Jay!
08-30-2001, 10:35 PM
Hey, welcome to AF. :D

What did you use that stripped your paint? :eek:

Personally, I use Castrol Super Clean for all my cleaner/degreaser needs. ;) Of course, I use it to take paint off plastic, too. :rolleyes: But, i'd figure it'd be okay as long as you don't let it soak too long...

DOHCGSR
09-01-2001, 01:38 PM
I used Meguiars "EXTRA" suppose to be safe for all engine parts, but i had a little bit of oil that fell on the valve cover. From an oil change so i decided to use Meguiars EXTRA on the valve cover to get it off , i followed the directions to leave it on the stain for 90 sec's than i wiped it off with a terry cloth ( a clean one) than i noticed it was kinda white and the next day i took a flash light and found out it stripped the paint off tha valve cover . now a week later, i got a type r valve cover and i dont want to make the same mistake. Yea that castrol stuff does work because that what Acura uses , is there anything i should be aware of before using that castrol product? :flash:

Jay!
09-01-2001, 01:42 PM
If your worried about the paint, I'd not let it sit for long. Even if it means you'll have to use it a couple of times.

Castrol Super Clean has a dilution guide on the back of the bottle, and I think for engine stuff, they say to use it undiluted, but you may want to water it down just in case.

Add your comment to this topic!