Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 1.9 ticking, knocking???

joeh100
11-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Have ticking sound coming from back of engine. It's getting louder. Lifter, valve problems??? It changes with engine RPM and is definately coming from the back of the engine, not from valve cover.

I'm going to quit running it for now. I've heard of valve problems. Have I caught it in time? How can I fix it?

I'm not a mechanic but I don't believe it's knocking and I'm not afraid of tackiling the repair myself. I really want to keep this car running.

12Ounce
11-05-2006, 01:05 PM
I'd take the head off for a look-see.

joeh100
11-05-2006, 06:18 PM
I'd take the head off for a look-see.

What exactly am I looking for?

12Ounce
11-05-2006, 08:32 PM
Has a valve or valve spring broken? ... a valve insert come loose? A shop that specializes in head repair will be glad to give you a free assessment. With the head off, rotate the crank ... do the pistons go up and down without any "sloppiness"? ... are the piston tops damaged? You can feel a lot while you hand rotate the crank. etc, etc, etc,

Of course, the next step is to drop the pan.

joeh100
11-06-2006, 10:27 AM
How much can I troubleshoot by just taking the valve cover off.

When I said the back of the engine I meant side closest to firewall.
I tried to get a better location on the noise this morning. I used a plastic rod as an acoustic probe (held my ear to it and probed the engine).

The noise can best be described as a tap tap tap noise. Frequency is around 3 or 4 times a second, no more than 5 with engine idling at around 750.

The loudest place I can hear this is on the fuel injectors. All the fuel injectors are making the same noise it seems like. No single one is loudest. Do the fuel injectors make a noise or am I just able to hear it easily here for some reason?

Again, I'm pretty sure it's not coming from under the valve cover and it doesn't seem to be coming from down lower on the engine. It really seems to be coming from the fuel injectors themselves.

The engine also has a lag/stall on fast acceleration, not sure if this could be related.

12Ounce
11-06-2006, 12:49 PM
The injectors should make a barely audible clicking noise. I can only hear them if I use a pick-up like you are using. If they are all the same level, I suspect they're OK.

Yes, of course, taking the valve cover off may get you closer to the problem ... who knows?

Are you sure the exhaust system is not the culprit?

joeh100
11-06-2006, 06:47 PM
You mean an exhaust leak? I haven't had a chance to check it out good yet but I'm pretty sure that's not it. I have got to work one more day but I get off on Wed. I should be able to really check it out then.

It is definately at the same rate as the injectors. I know that much now. This would probably mean something in the valve train right.

joeh100
11-07-2006, 03:11 PM
I got a Haynes manual today. It looks like I could replace everything but the valves themselves without pulling the head. Assuming there's no problem with a valve or valve seat, it should be an easy fix right? My dad says it's a lifter tapping.

Also I don't know if this is related but I've had the car for about 5 years and never had a problem with oil leaks until the last couple of months. The valve cover is leaking oil now. It isn't bad but it has never done it before recently.

I'll do a compression check also, and post the results. The haynes manual describes the test but do U guys have any advice.

joeh100
11-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Well I pulled the valve cover off today to check things out. Everything looked good so I decided to start the car and see what I could see. The tapping was gone. I put the valve cover back on and the tapping was still gone????

greg8732
09-16-2008, 09:48 PM
hey, just as a heads up to you, i had the same problem about 5 months ago. i heard a ticking noise from the back of the engine.. it actually is coming from the intake manifold.. because the tubes that let the air into the cylinder are echoing the sound inside the engine.. the actual problem might unfortunatly fall deeper. these motors are NOTORIOUS for dropping valve seats.. very common! i strongly suggest taking the head off and sending it out to have it rebuilt. if you dont there is a good chance it will drop ontop of the cylinder and get smashed up. causing major engine damage. pistons chewed up valves chewed up as well. i dont want to scare you about it but my noise went a way for a while, it mostlikely will return.. good luck because i wound up having to spend the money and purchase a new head, which is way more then a rebuild, ontop of new pistons rings bearings and a sloppy mess everywhere.. learn from my1000 dollar in parts mistake.. and thats only parts i rebuilt it myself... however if its too late, ebay is the way to go!!! theres a guy who only deals with ford rebuild parts. hes got it all.. good luck

Add your comment to this topic!