Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cold start problems

spasticone
11-03-2006, 05:03 PM
1991 plymouth laser, car has been sitting for awhile. Very hard to start cold, when i can get it started it idles fast for a little and dies out if you hit the gas until it starts to warm up then runs fine and fires back up with no trouble. the ECU was replaced since it was parked. Any ideas?

Thanks

It idles fine until i hit the gas --- so i'm not just about the BISS, and i just put another battery that should be fine (and well charged) I think the gas could be a part of it
thanks for the suggestions.

l_eclipse_l
11-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Try adjusting the BISS screw to have it idle a little higher so it dosn't die out. If you don't know what this is or where, do a quick search in this forum you will find something pretty easily. You may also want to drain the gas that is in it and put new stuff in, and check the battery voltage to make sure it is putting out enough juice under load to start the car when cold.

spasticone
11-04-2006, 08:42 PM
I need more... Thanks for the help, but checked for voltage drops. Anyone else?

gthompson97
11-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Tps? Iac?

corwinB
11-04-2006, 08:44 PM
1991 plymouth laser, car has been sitting for awhile. Very hard to start cold, when i can get it started it idles fast for a little and dies out if you hit the gas until it starts to warm up then runs fine and fires back up with no trouble. the ECU was replaced since it was parked. Any ideas?

Thanks

It idles fine until i hit the gas --- so i'm not just about the BISS, and i just put another battery that should be fine (and well charged) I think the gas could be a part of it
thanks for the suggestions.

If you replaced the ecu with a used ecu then it also could be bad. You can go here to send your computer in for a free test that will eliminate it as the problem. www.autocomputersupply.com (http://www.autocomputersupply.com)

All you pay for is the shipping to and from. Problem with the ecu's on the 1st gen(90-94) is that they used cheap parts on the PCB boards so they all go bad.. even the new ones that mitsubishi has on their shelves. If you get one rebuilt with better components then you shouldn't have any more problems with your ecu.

gthompson97
11-04-2006, 08:45 PM
If you replaced the ecu with a used ecu then it also could be bad. You can go here to send your computer in for a free test that will eliminate it as the problem. www.autocomputersupply.com (http://www.autocomputersupply.com)

All you pay for is the shipping to and from. Problem with the ecu's on the 1st gen(90-94) is that they used cheap parts on the PCB boards so they all go bad.. even the new ones that mitsubishi has on their shelves. If you get one rebuilt with better components then you shouldn't have any more problems with your ecu.

I HIGHLY doubt it's the ECU. The symptoms aren't leading to an ECU anyways.

spasticone
11-04-2006, 09:01 PM
LOL... you spend way to much time on here.... 2 second elapse time between posts.

It runs like a top once it starts and warms up even a tiny bit... What does this thing have for a cold start valve/injector or such? Is it just a computer setting to dump fuel for cold starts? As a v-dub guy, this thing is like chinese writing on the bathroom stall. It just acts like it's not getting "choked".

I think my bro checked the tps. I didn't look into the iac yet. I'll check that out

corwinB
11-04-2006, 09:15 PM
I HIGHLY doubt it's the ECU. The symptoms aren't leading to an ECU anyways.

I agree that it is probably not the ecu but it sounded like he thought that could be it. This way he would know for sure to look somewhere else. The ecu is usually the first thing people tend to be suspicious of.

l_eclipse_l
11-04-2006, 10:29 PM
I need more... Thanks for the guesses, but I'm way past voltage drops and bad gas. Anyone else?

Well since you hadn't specificed if you had ruled those out or not and now I see you edited your post for whatever reason, it was worth a shot.

Did you check the coil pack?

gthompson97
11-05-2006, 03:25 AM
LOL... you spend way to much time on here.... 2 second elapse time between posts.

Do you want help? Because I can stop if you'd like.

Check the sensors like I said, that's what they look to me.

spasticone
11-05-2006, 04:01 PM
I saw the "may cause dependency" quote and you replied 2 times in a few seconds.. Just found it it funny. I do appreciate the help. I haven't checked the iac yet... Had to paintball today. You have to have priorities, right? Ok.. I'm gonna work on this pig on monday. Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!