Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Headlights wont turn off!! HELP!!!

SlackerOfSociety
10-20-2006, 07:08 PM
I just noticed that when i turn my key before starting it the my headlights come on and stay on. But if i turn the key to off they shut off. And the headlight switch is turned to off the entire time. Any ideas? Also both of my cigarette lighters do not work. The fuse was blown so I replaced it, as soon as I turn my car on the fuse blows again. So I tried a 30 amp fuse instead of the 20 amp fuse that was in the slot, same thing, it blows when I turn my car on. HELP!

Blue Bowtie
10-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Do the lights turn on if the park brake is engaged?

SlackerOfSociety
10-20-2006, 07:51 PM
If I push the e brake down the lights turn off.

SlackerOfSociety
10-20-2006, 08:00 PM
By the way I have a 98 chevy malibu

madmedix
10-20-2006, 10:35 PM
1) Your malibu has automatic lighting. You will notice that the orange marker lamps do not come on unless the photoresistor on the top of the dash detects low daylight levels to tell the system it is dark, then they will come on (along with your dash lamps). It has a 20 second delay (going under bridges, etc).
2) You should be using your parking brake anyway when parking the car. Keeps a lot of stress off the tranny instead of just putting it in park and walking away. Push on the p/brake and the lights will go off. Push off and they come on. It's the way the system was designed.
3) If you are popping fuses and the rated fuse in the system, DO NOT PUT IN ONE WITH A HIGHER AMPERAGE RATING unless you like car fires, melted fuse boxes or the smell of burning wire insulation. You have a short in the circuit. Find it and fix it.

Hope this helps.

alblogg
10-26-2006, 04:03 PM
First place to look is to see if someone has dropped something in one of your cigarette lighter plugs and shorting it out. Next look behind to see if wires have come loose and are touching.

alblogg
10-26-2006, 04:11 PM
I know but the other prob they was having was fuses blowing to their cigar lighter and they was trying higher amp fuses.

bisben2
11-08-2006, 12:49 PM
I had a similar problem with my 2000 Malibu. the headlights (not just the daytime running lights) would come on all the time. I finally fixed the problem by cleaning the sensor that's in the dashboard vent. I used a cotton swab soaked in mineral spirits to reach down into the vent and just wiped it thoroughly. The lights now work like they're supposed to. Daytime Running Lights during daylight. Regular lights come on when its dark.

SlackerOfSociety
11-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks bisben! I cleaned the sensor now they work like they are supose to. Only problem I am having now is the lighters dont work. I checked in them no coins or any thing in there. Also I am looking for a new wiper motor for a 98 malibu. If any one has one pm me. Thanks guys for all your help

madmedix
11-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks bisben! I cleaned the sensor now they work like they are supose to. Only problem I am having now is the lighters dont work. I checked in them no coins or any thing in there. Also I am looking for a new wiper motor for a 98 malibu. If any one has one pm me. Thanks guys for all your help

That problem I had as well (the left lighter socket, not the accessory socket on the right side)..the plug on the back of the lighter socket itself had fallen off.

Add your comment to this topic!