Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problem with engine-Hope you people can help.

hink12341234
10-08-2006, 07:05 PM
My car is a 1992 Dodge Stealth R/T with the non-turbo 3.0 DOHC engine. I'm told this same engine is used in the Diamante. I have searched every forum and i'm still unable to fix my problem. A brief history of my problem. Mileage on engine is 138,000 miles. The problem is most notable when you are doing 30 mph and you try to maintain that speed.
The engine will buck back and forth. When you give it more gas and run it through the gears it smoothes out. But you can still feel the "miss". At idle you can just listen to the engine and hear the miss. The idle speed is constant but there is a slight miss to it. I have heard this a common problem with these engines but no clear cut fix.
This problem does not trip the CEL. What I have done so far: Replaced the spark plugs-new spark plug wires-new 02 sensor-new fuel filter-sent injectors in to get flow tested and rebuilt-swapped the 3 coils from another engine,also swapped the CAS sensor-changed all the vacuum hoses-tested the TPS sensor and it checked out-pulled the computer and checked it for leaks-it looked brand new-pulled trouble codes with the voltmeter-it showed no codes.
I had another Stealth owner who said his did the samething and his mechanic told him it was the MAF or MAS sensor. Mine also looks very good. The reason I haven't changed that is because I was told it it's bad it "will" trip the CEL. So that's the history. I'm just hoping that one of you has had this same problem and you could steer me in the right direction. Many thanks for your help! John

ned032002
10-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Did you actually test the coils that you took from the doner car?

eclipsed at 3am
10-09-2006, 07:44 PM
replace the maf anyways and then get a turbo stealth.

hink12341234
10-09-2006, 08:09 PM
I did not check the coils. I still have the others. Is there some way to test the coils?

hink12341234
10-09-2006, 08:14 PM
replace the maf anyways and then get a turbo stealth.
Replace the Maf anyways? Are you saying the maf could be at fault but not throwing the CEL? This would be the first time that someone has suggested that. Like I said I was always told that if the maf sensor is bad it "will" throw the CEL. I just don't want to get to the point where i'm throwing parts at it.

xavier3jr
10-09-2006, 09:26 PM
i wouldn't think it would always throw a CEL. all it does is messure air flow. no matter if its not reading right or not it is going to be sending a reading. the only way it should throw a CEL is if it compleatly dies.

eclipsed at 3am
10-09-2006, 09:28 PM
ive had bad maf sensors before and they didnt throw a code. however i dont know how different a stealth maf would be from an eclipse, some people take the honeycombs out of them. ive seen some people take those honeycombs out and no cel, and other people do get a cel. sometimes it just wont show up as a cel. i dunno though lol.

all the stuff that you listed that you have done to it, were those all things you did before or during the problem?

check to make sure you have the right spark plug gap. run a fuel injection cleaner, maybe do an oil change and put engine treatment in with the oil. its possible the fuel pump could be going out too. i have absolutely no idea other than those.

hink12341234
10-10-2006, 12:18 AM
All of this was done after the problem began. The plug wires,02 sensor were the originals so I thought I would start there. I thought for sure with new plugs,new wires,etc. I would fix the problem. So far of all the stuff that I have done it's still there. Very frustrating. Why would people take the honeycome out of there sensor?

Add your comment to this topic!