Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Malibu starts, but dies with no gas applied, cussing does not help

johnny k
09-11-2006, 10:14 PM
I have 2001 Malibu with 185000 miles. And have had this promblem a few times in the last year. Car will start, but die as soon as I take my foot off the gas, and the battery light comes on. Now every time this has happened I was able to get the car started again with in half hour or so. Had it happen after and oil change( right after while I was still in the parking lot) the guys messed with it and disconnected the battery to reset the computer. This seams to work but only after several tries and me holding the gas at 2000 rpms for a while. not sure if that is doing anything because I fixed it by doing that before knowing about the cable. Every time it has happened we fixed something else, Battery, alternater, vacume tree(? tube that goes from pvc valve to engine )
Has any body ran into this. What is it. what do I need to tell the dealership when I call them
Once it happens it does not happen again for a while . it happened a few times when I was on the road, drive for 4 hours, stop to eat, start car, pull to gas pump fill up then start car again bam!
johnny

mobil_12
09-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Does the anti theft light flash or come on?

If so, it sounds like a passkey problem.

When it fails to start, try leaving the key in the on position for a bout 20 minutes. Then start the engine. If everything is okeydokey, then you got a bad lock cylinder. Take the car to a GM dealer and have them replace and re code your lock cylinder.

tractorboy
09-12-2006, 08:46 AM
when was the last ime you replaced your plugs and wires ?
also air filter / fuel filter
are you getting a check engine light ?

samturner
09-12-2006, 10:26 AM
I had pretty much the same problem's on a 99' Malibu with about the same number of miles. I took it to the dealer and was the passlock cost around $250.00 or so to fix.

I now have have a little over 200,000 with no repeat of the problems.

tractorboy
09-12-2006, 02:23 PM
I have never herd of passlock causing a car to stall, oh well if you say it's so.

johnny k
09-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks
I have not gotten any check engine lights, Plugs and wires were changed about year and half ago, air filter pretty regular change fuel filter not sure.
no anti theft light either, but like said waiting does seam to help, not sure if disconnecting the battery is doing anything or not since just waiting and and trying again seamed to work. The one thing that seams consistant is the car is running for a while ( hours ) then turned off, then started again, and stopped real quick( like to pull from a parking spot to the gas pump) then i have the problem. I will try the turning the key in on posistion for a while next time but will that drain the battery? Because I have no problem getting started just keeping it running .
johnny

rhandwor
09-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Go to a parts store and buy a spark tester. When a vehicle doesn't start you either are getting no spark or no fuel or no air.
After you determine what area the problem is in we can help you. Doing what you are doing is going to ruin your electrical system and cost you big bucks.
Check the spark when it doesn't want to start.
Make sure you have gas in the tank your gauge might be bad. Remove your fuel filter and see if you can blow through it. If you can't buy a new one.

tractorboy
09-13-2006, 07:25 AM
fuel filters are cheap, under $10, if you are going to the trouble to remove , might as well put a new one on. To avoid fuel line pressure , let car sit over night, if the filter is like my impala , the fuel line clips to the front and has a nut on the back,,,, make sure ti use a BACK UP WRENCH when loosening the nut to keep from stressing the fuel line. Also use brake line wrenches if possible. also have a rags handy gas will come out, about a 1/2 cup.
I kind of doubt it is the fuel filter, since the car also runs ok was it gets going. Starting to sound like maybe an 02 sensor or the cat is clogged.
I reread and am not sure if the poster is experiencing this with a hot engine. if just cold, the engine runs in open loop when cold, just running off the o2 sensor , till the sensor and cat get hot, then switches to closed loop running off the maf and ve table, so if this just happens cold i would say the 02 or cat.

johnholl
09-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Is The Fuel Line Leaking? Smell Around.

tractorboy
09-13-2006, 10:48 PM
could also be a partially clogged catalytic converter

Add your comment to this topic!