Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Starter/Solenoid

pint4
08-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Does anyone know where the starter and solenoid are located on a 1998 Chev Malibu w/ V-6? I would appreciate any helpful hints regarding how to go about changing it? Is it hard to remove? It's sitting dead in the driveway at this moment and I need it to get back and forth to work.
Thanks from a novice mechanic!
Bob

rememberde3
08-21-2006, 08:19 AM
1998 Malibu with v-6 starter is located on front left side of motor near transaxle. make sure you disconnect battery befoe removing starter. Easy Job

rememberde3
08-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Starter located lower left side of engine near transaxle under vehicle. Use jackstands. disconnect battery easy job.

pint4
08-23-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks for your help! I replaced it tonight. Went smooth and I am back on the road. Does anyone know what I have to do to access the radio to reconnect the antenna? I have no AM radio reception.
Thanks.
Bob

rememberde3
08-23-2006, 06:59 AM
before you remove your radio ,do you have FM radio? and does it work, I've had a few radio that the AM went out and had to be replaced.
to replace remove ignition switch trim ring, gently pry out with a flat bladed screwdriver than gently pull trim panel , just held in with little clips, than remove screws to radio pull out and unhook electrical connection and antenna

Add your comment to this topic!