Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is it easy to replace front coil spring?

johnholl
08-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Has anyone tried to to it theirselves?

joe68
08-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Has anyone tried to to it theirselves?

wel sometimes, i we need to know what type of car and spring
joe68

john20
08-21-2006, 08:45 AM
If replacing the whole strut, I've done it in my 99. It wasn't difficult and took little time. Buy a used one and save some green.

johnholl
08-22-2006, 11:11 AM
If replacing the whole strut, I've done it in my 99. It wasn't difficult and took little time. Buy a used one and save some green.

yes, i may go the used strut\spring combo. Do I need a spring compressor?

joe68
08-22-2006, 12:55 PM
yes, i may go the used strut\spring combo. Do I need a spring compressor?

if you are going thru that much work, please buy new, :grinyes: you will need a strut clamp to compressed and removed. remove the strut and bring down to your local part store and let them do it. easy and all you is bolt in and then get a alighment as soon as you can

john20
08-22-2006, 08:44 PM
My car had around 100,000 when my spring broke, I bought a used strut for 50 bucks that had 54,000 on it...

You won't need a spring compressor for the new one if you buy the whole strut, but be careful on taking the old one out. I'm not sure where your's exactly broke at, but mine broke right at the bottom so the old spring was still compressed. If it looks like it could "slip" any further, I wouldn't attempt... I didn't use a strut clamp or anything though :eek: I just yanked the old out and put the new in.. then got it aligned.

joe68
08-22-2006, 09:24 PM
buying a use is at best a chance you might get a non leaking one,
if the spring is broken ,he right it might be a little hairy.but why go thru that much work and maybe have to do again either right away or down the road a little bit? do you plan on keeping the car?

johnholl
08-26-2006, 12:18 PM
buying a use is at best a chance you might get a non leaking one,
if the spring is broken ,he right it might be a little hairy.but why go thru that much work and maybe have to do again either right away or down the road a little bit? do you plan on keeping the car?

Yes, I do plan on keeping the car untill I get enough money to purchase a good used toyota. My wifes been out of work, but thank God is now able to re-enter the work force this week. As a result the car has been off the road for about 9 months. When i found the coil spring was broken we decided to car pool, but my wife now has differing hours with mine.

So what we are looking at here is a 98 with 101K miles. Salvaged engine installed at 98K. [thank you GM for your fine work in designing the 3100 V6]

I am planning to dump the Dexcool and replace with the universal coolent, change the oil, free the wheels. I may or may not need to replace the fuel tank, it leaks above 1\2 tank...so it may not pass emmisions inspection [odb II in NY]. Isn't that great. I don't want to put a great deal of money into this heap [which I treated with kid-gloves], but this is my short-term solution for now.

rhandwor
09-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Go to a junk yard after getting prices. You want the whole spring strut assembly. They will probably take you out in a truck with the parts puller. Look the unit over before he pulls it. Make sure the strut isn't leaking and isn't bent and the spring looks good.
They demand cash.
Take the old one with you in the trunk.
They will remove 3 nuts on top ask for these. Also ask for the 2 bolts on the bottom.
Before you remove yours take a punch one bolt has a cam on it. Punch at an angle on the cam and strut. Transfer the punch mark to the replacement strut. Otherwise the wheel will lean out about 1 inch. If this happens use a level and move the wheel until it sits properly or you can ruin a tire in a hurry. I am not 100% sure your car has a cam bolt but look carefully.
Be very careful when removing as a spring can hurt you. Also inspect to determine if a control arm is bent before you go to the yard.
I put a jack under the control arm when removing the top 3 bolts

Add your comment to this topic!