Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 malibu tune up

zz519
08-06-2006, 07:38 PM
I am trying to replace the spark plugs of my 2000 malibu. But it seems that the spark plugs of this model are unremovable. They are all coated with hard rubber which seems to be unseparable from the plugs. The spark plugs in my car look very different from a regular car. They seem to be much shorter and are not deeply installed into the cylinders. Anybody has experience in replacing spark plugs of this model? Really appreciate if anyone can teach me.

wymi
08-06-2006, 09:18 PM
The hard rubber is probably just the spark plug boots, they get hard with age and can be tough to get off. Try twisting the hard rubber boots, that will help to loosen the boots making them easier to pull off. You should really replace the wires if they are the original, I used Borg warner wires and they worked fine. If you have a V6 engine use the stock AC Delco plug, I think the OEM part number is 41-979 if I remember correctly. I have to lay over the top of the motor to do the rear plugs and use a couple of different extensions on my swivel ratchet. Do the spark plug change when the motor is stone cold to avoid the plugs binding in the aluminun head. Be sure to use a torque wrench so as not to strip the threads in the aluminum heads.

Add your comment to this topic!