Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changing battery/avoid radio lockup

Rhcmlc
08-02-2006, 08:10 PM
I have an '03 Malibu and I need to change the battery. Is there something I can do to avoid the radio lock-up I've read about? Someone once told me to disconnect either the positive or negative terminal first, but I can't remember which one should be disconnected first. Does this matter or does it make no difference?

wymi
08-02-2006, 08:16 PM
I've diconnected the battery a few times on my 01 Malibu and never seen the radio lock-up problem. I did read somewhere here that you can disable the theft feature on the radio.

samturner
08-02-2006, 09:00 PM
I seem to recall reading that if you have a anti theft code programed into the radio you might have a problem if you disconnect the battery.

If the radio is the way it came from the factory I wouldn't worry about it. I have had a 99' since it was new and the battery has been out several times.

If your worried about it JC Whitney has a little goodie with a 9v battery that you plug into the cigarette lighter which is supposed to hold any codes you might lose by disconnecting the batter.

I have never tried this thing so don't know if it works or not.

LC1500MB
08-06-2006, 09:05 AM
I just changed out my battery in my '03...the mechanic at Sears used one of those memeroy savers that you plug into the cigar lighter..I have unhooked my battery while I installed fog lights and it did not lockup the radio.. This was after I had the battery installed.. otherwise I would have done the battery change...

MT-2500
08-06-2006, 10:27 AM
I have an '03 Malibu and I need to change the battery. Is there something I can do to avoid the radio lock-up I've read about? Someone once told me to disconnect either the positive or negative terminal first, but I can't remember which one should be disconnected first. Does this matter or does it make no difference?

Newer radios are doing away with the theft lock setting in the raido.
As said safer to use a battery saver tool.
But when you disconnect a battery always disconnect the neg first and hook it up last.
Newer raidos.
Theft Deterrent
The "Theftlock" theft deterrent system is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the "run" power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from a module on the class 2 serial data circuit responsible for transmitting that information. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The two scenarios able to cause this condition are:
· A radio is installed from another vehicle.
· A module which communicates on the class 2 serial data circuit which supplies VIN information to the radio is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle.
The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool. Always refer to the table to diagnose the "Theftlock" DTC for further information.

MT

Add your comment to this topic!