Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Another AC problem...help!

frame1520
08-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Ok, I've browsed over a lot of the posts on here, and have seen a lot of the same problems I have. I have a 98 Malibu with some AC issues. I'm going to try the home fix for the 1 & 2 speeds not working on the control module..probably when I get home.
The main problem I have is that the AC is only blowing hot air. I took it to a mechanic last year, and they did the dye test, and refilled the freon (supposedly). They said there was no leak. It sputtered some "cool" air for a while then stopped. On having to replace the head gasket, I asked another mechanic about this AC problem. He said the compressor needed replacing, and it would be about $1000. I decided I would live without AC :screwy:. Needless to say, if anyone has had a similar problem or knows what the fix is, please let me know. I am very mechanically inclined, so taking stuff apart and understanding it is not an issue (even though I am not a mechanic). If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

PteHoward
08-01-2006, 04:34 PM
It does make sense. If the compressor's clutch does not engage as it should, little or no R-134 will be compressed. No heat exchange, no cood air. :(

Press the ac button on the dash and watch the top of the compressor, if the whole assemlby spins, then your compressor is working. If nothing spins but the pulley, then it could be the compressor's clutch, High/low pressure sensors on the line, or a fault in the AC control itself.

Good Luck

frame1520
08-01-2006, 05:10 PM
It does make sense. If the compressor's clutch does not engage as it should, little or no R-134 will be compressed. No heat exchange, no cood air. :(

Press the ac button on the dash and watch the top of the compressor, if the whole assemlby spins, then your compressor is working. If nothing spins but the pulley, then it could be the compressor's clutch, High/low pressure sensors on the line, or a fault in the AC control itself.

Good Luck

I'll check this out and get back with you...Supposing it is the compressor clutch, does that mean the compressor needs to be replaced?

Thanks for your help!

frame1520
08-02-2006, 12:57 PM
After checking things out, I turned on the AC button, and turned on the blower. The pulley is turning, but the compressor clutch does not move. It tries to when you first start the engine, with the AC on, but then it does not spin.

I'm guessing it is bad, as you have suspected. Does this mean the compressor should be replaced? If so, any suggestions on where to get the part? And lastly, is this something that I would able to put on at home?

Thanks for your help.

frame1520
08-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Nevermind...Car just got totalled....And believe me, I am not too upset about it.

Add your comment to this topic!