Page updated on 03-18-2018

adjustable fan switch

07-17-2006, 08:27 AM
I have a 96 cav that has always run hot (3/4 while stopped). It has 130,000 on the odo and I want to prolong its life as much as possible. I have seen the adjustable fan relays at autostores where you can dial in the "on" for the fan from 180 - 200.

What do you all think about cutting the power lines to the fan and hooking this up so that I can set it to come on before the temp gets to 3/4 or higher when really hot out?

Also since I am here.... my windshield seems to leak into the A Piller and run down to my passenger side floorboard. I tried black silicone around the slightly lifted weatherstripping, but still get the leak. Has anyone ever replaced their own weatherstripping here, or is it best to bring it to a glass shop?

Thanks as always.

Young Chuck D
07-17-2006, 11:57 AM
i got my windshield resealed at a glass shop and came to find out that its been replaced before. incorrectly. i paid too much $70 you could probably bring cash and talk them down to like $50.

as for the fan, a friend of mine hooked his up to come on when he turns it on. he put a switch on the dash and just turns it on when he drives, off when he stops. theres no reason why it can't always be on so i guess it works.

07-17-2006, 03:28 PM
the fan is going to come on automatically when it gets to 200 anyway. but you can wire it to the ignation so when the key is on then the fan is on

07-17-2006, 03:50 PM
put in a switch, most people that go to the track a lot will. you just need to run one side of the switch to a ground and then connect a wire to the bottom right corner of the fan relay and you'll need a diode (an LED will suffice) in the wire (facing the right way) or when you switch it on and the fan then cut's in will just ground it and short the circuit which you don't want. so you need about 5' of wire a toggle switch and a diode (radioshack)

Add your comment to this topic!