Should I fix or junk my car

brokedownmirage
07-12-2006, 09:01 PM
I have a 1997 Mirage LS Coupe w/ 128,000 miles on it. It was in decent shaoe overall, minus a non-functioning air conditioner. The probelm is the automatic transmission recently blew on it and the cost to rebuild it is 1600. Is it worth putting this kind of money into this car? Any help would be appreciated.

G-man422
07-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Cant you buy a used tranny somewhere 4 cheaper?

brokedownmirage
07-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Not here. It is a tricky situation. I just moved to maryland from PA. I don't have any auto contacts down here that I would trust enough for that. The car is at a shop that was recommended by AAA and people in the area. They said thats the only option that rebuilding it was my only real option. If i were still in PA, I knew people who worked in garages who I would trust to get me a used tranny. Without that connection, I could just be buying one that will blow in another 2000 miles.

DFBonnett
07-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Is the trans really blown and needs a full rebuild ? Get a second opinion. After you are really in command of all the details you have to look at the numbers and make a decision.

Acebankai
03-10-2009, 12:48 AM
well if you can rebuild your own tranny its alot cheaper and you can trust yourself. rebuilding your own tranny is easy as anything. ive done like 8. its basically one whold unit that you take out. you probably messed up the sprocket or one of the planetary gears. take it apart and check

jbracefan1977
03-10-2009, 01:25 AM
well if you can rebuild your own tranny its alot cheaper and you can trust yourself. rebuilding your own tranny is easy as anything. ive done like 8. its basically one whold unit that you take out. you probably messed up the sprocket or one of the planetary gears. take it apart and check

I agree.........

Acebankai
03-10-2009, 01:58 AM
plus thats a little high to be charging for a tranny job. if you don't want to overhaul yourself get somebody elses opinons.. its still going to be easier to do it yourself. if you need any help message me and i'll walk you through it.

Add your comment to this topic!