Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Vapor Recovery System problem

Pegboy
07-07-2006, 06:15 PM
I have a 1994 Chevy S-10 that I believe has a VRS problem. It smells like gas, and has for a while, especially while it's idling or at a complete stop. When I turn it off after running it for a while, it smells like gas. I talked to someone and they said it was probably the the vapor recovery system, maybe the vaccuum wasn't working or something. Any ideas anyone? It's a 2.2L by the way. Don't know if that helps. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I don't like subjecting myself to that smell regularly.

Also, if someone could point me in the direction of where to look? I really don't know where to find the system to even look at it under the hood.

Thanks for any help.

Derek

BLAZERBOY69
07-13-2006, 03:07 PM
I have a 1994 Chevy S-10 that I believe has a VRS problem. It smells like gas, and has for a while, especially while it's idling or at a complete stop. When I turn it off after running it for a while, it smells like gas. I talked to someone and they said it was probably the the vapor recovery system, maybe the vaccuum wasn't working or something. Any ideas anyone? It's a 2.2L by the way. Don't know if that helps. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I don't like subjecting myself to that smell regularly.

Also, if someone could point me in the direction of where to look? I really don't know where to find the system to even look at it under the hood.

Thanks for any help.

Derek

WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR IS A CANNISTER AND/OR A BALL SHAPED THINGIE
MINE WAS IN THE FRONT BEHIND THE PASS.SIDE HEADLIGHT, JUST AFTER THE BATTERY.

rlith
07-15-2006, 07:10 AM
WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR IS A CANNISTER AND/OR A BALL SHAPED THINGIE
MINE WAS IN THE FRONT BEHIND THE PASS.SIDE HEADLIGHT, JUST AFTER THE BATTERY.

The ball under the hood isn't the Vapor Reovery system, it's the vac resivouir (sic?) for the hvac system. The cannister is more in line with that. The primary vacume for the main system comes off the back of the intake, and runs to that cannister though the cannister should be below the driver's side headlight not the passenger.. Though he has a 94, so he may have the newer style system since he has a second gen body style, so the system may actually be under the rear driver's side bumper, just behind the wheel. Either way, 2 things could be going on. If he has the latter, it could be filled with water. In that case it simply just needs to be drained and dried out for a couple of days. Other wise if he has the former style setup, it's probably a vac leak either in the cannister or the hoses themselves. (It could also be a hose leak with the newer style systems as well)

Add your comment to this topic!