Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

transmission questions???

tsmay51
06-28-2006, 07:04 PM
I married into the ownership of a 2000 malibu 3100 with automatic tranny. The car has almost 80k miles on it. I want to service the tranny and I am trying to figure out a couple things. The car seems to be in good shape and I want to prolong the life of it. If switching to synthetic fluid for the tranny what would be recommended? How much should it cost at a shop to do a complete flush? How much fluid should I buy to give the shop for the flush? I am thinking of royal purple max atf fluid. Let me know what yall think... Thanks

maxwedge
06-28-2006, 07:34 PM
I married into the ownership of a 2000 malibu 3100 with automatic tranny. The car has almost 80k miles on it. I want to service the tranny and I am trying to figure out a couple things. The car seems to be in good shape and I want to prolong the life of it. If switching to synthetic fluid for the tranny what would be recommended? How much should it cost at a shop to do a complete flush? How much fluid should I buy to give the shop for the flush? I am thinking of royal purple max atf fluid. Let me know what yall think... Thanks
I would not do a flush on this car, change the fluid and filter, 7.5 qts, use any top brand Dexron 111 add Lucas red, syntheic is ok, but no real proven benefit for an average driven car.

wymi
06-28-2006, 08:17 PM
I agree with not doing the flush, just drop the pan, change the filter and add 7.5 quarts of any regular or synthetic Dex 3 trans oil. I did notice much smoother shifting with Amsoil ATF.

tsmay51
06-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Why not flush??? It doesn't make sense to me why you only replace part of the fluid just to be contaminated with the old fluid in the system...

maxwedge
06-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Why not flush??? It doesn't make sense to me why you only replace part of the fluid just to be contaminated with the old fluid in the system...
This can cause debris from the flush machine to get into your fluid stream, it can loosen particles in your trans and they wind up in the valve body, done at 80k is a risk, most engineers involved new car mfg do not recommend this procedure. What you could do is disconnect the cooler line from the rad run the engine in neutral, using a large pan and a hose slipped over the cooler line run the trans near dry, then pour about 4 qts into the trans this will circulate thru the convertor and complete the cycle, then add your 7.5 qts after dropping the pan, when the trans is dry of course. The flush procedure, I feel is too harsh.

bcopeland
06-29-2006, 01:04 PM
In another vehicle, I had my fluid flushed at about 95K miles. At 107K I had to replace my tranny.

wafrederick
06-29-2006, 02:28 PM
I agree not to flush also.My father knows a guy who owns his own transmission shop that cleans valve bodies out after finding out the person had the transmission flushed after getting a complaint like this:does not shift right.The transmission shifts fine after a valve body cleaning with a fluid and filter service.I had to replace a transmission also that was acting up after being flushed.

wafrederick
06-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Your transmission has a goofy set to check the transmission fluid level.It has no dipstick and there is a plug near the passenger axle,transmission side to remove.It is a lengthy procedure.

wymi
06-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Your transmission has a goofy set to check the transmission fluid level.It has no dipstick and there is a plug near the passenger axle,transmission side to remove.It is a lengthy procedure.

Yes, the level check is a pita, I just pour in 7.5 quarts after the pan drop. I've done this 3 times now and only checked it one time after the 7.5 quarts.

tsmay51
06-29-2006, 10:23 PM
OK... I have drained the fluid and removed the pan from the tranny this afternoon. I left it apart to drain overnight. Tomorrow I will change the filter and put it all back together. I have two questions... Where exactly is the filter and how to change it. The other question is how to check the amount after adding the fluid... When I checked the level b4 draining I had the car running and nothing seeped out of the check screw hole. I cycled thru the gears and nothing. When I shut down the motor a bunch of fluid drained out of the hole. Why is this and what is proper way of using the check screw hole?

slls
06-30-2006, 12:43 PM
OK... I have drained the fluid and removed the pan from the tranny this afternoon. I left it apart to drain overnight. Tomorrow I will change the filter and put it all back together. I have two questions... Where exactly is the filter and how to change it. The other question is how to check the amount after adding the fluid... When I checked the level b4 draining I had the car running and nothing seeped out of the check screw hole. I cycled thru the gears and nothing. When I shut down the motor a bunch of fluid drained out of the hole. Why is this and what is proper way of using the check screw hole?

The check, test fluid level.
Car must be level.
Engine running and in park.
Fluid temp 104 deg F, 5 minutes idling should do that.
With pan drop start with 7.5 qts, the new Dexron VI is out now.
After filling and fluid proper temp remove plug and if no fluid comes out add until it does, if it just dribbles it’s full. If you wait it will keep dribbling because the fluid is getting hotter and expanding.
Put plug back before shutting off engine LOL.
The big black thing you see is the filter, just pull it off.

tsmay51
06-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the response everyone. I finished the job this afternoon. I tell ya, it is not a hard thing to do but it sure is messy and a pita. It took right at 8qts to fill back up. I had a friend pour the last 2 qts while I was under car watching the check screw. Once it started dribbling I capped it and told him to stop pouring. This seemed to work well. I am sure not all the fluid had settled but it could not be much over the plug if any. Thanks again for the help. Oh... How much old fluid is left in when doing this type drain and filter?

slls
07-01-2006, 03:39 PM
A dry transmission takes about 13 qts.

dgallo_2000
07-06-2006, 09:44 AM
OK, how do you decharge the A/C so I can replace the radiator? I have a leak into the trans and need to replace the radiator, and do a trans flush..

Thanks.

:uhoh:

maxwedge
07-06-2006, 02:46 PM
OK, how do you decharge the A/C so I can replace the radiator? I have a leak into the trans and need to replace the radiator, and do a trans flush..

Thanks.

:uhoh:
System should be evacuated and the freon recycled with the proper equipment.

dgallo_2000
07-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Will a auto repair place do this? Could I take it to a place and have them decharge it for me? I wasn't planning on doing it myself...

Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!