Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Malibu - Worth it?

zombie13
06-27-2006, 01:11 PM
I am looking at buying a 2000 malibu with 86000 miles for $5500. The car seems to be in working order, no major leaks, squeaks, squeels, or bumps. The owner says he bought it because they are reliable cars, but he wants a Jetta so he is selling it.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated since I don't want to buy a lemon.

Z.

niccaleb112602
06-27-2006, 04:57 PM
run, look at all the other postings.

bcopeland
06-27-2006, 05:43 PM
He has a 2000 Malibu, it is reliable, but wants to sell it for a Jetta? Coome on, Man. RED FLAG.

zombie13
06-27-2006, 08:08 PM
That's what I was looking for. Thanks.

PTG1212
06-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Malibu's aren't particularly reliable, but having said that they probably aren't the worst car Detroit ever turned out. I recently bought a 2001 Malibu with 17k miles for $5500 from a family member. I bought it knowing the issues with the car. Why did I buy it. Simple, there aren't really any choices in low mileage cars for that price. Basically, none. So I read up on all the issues with the car on this forum and decided that most of the issues were minor and could be fixed by myself. The car already had the lower intake manifold gasket replaced with the new gasket. It already had the emergency hazard switch replaced. The blower motor resistor was burnt, but I fixed that myself for $20.
The a/c control head occasionally switches off, but I'll do the board fix myself.
The 2001 Malibu is not my primary car, it's a kids car so I don't rely on it everyday and it won't see significant miles.

Given all of the above and weighing potential future issues, I decided that in my case it was worth $5500 to get a car, which is for all practical purposes new. In your case I think paying $5500 for a 2000 with 86k miles is too much
given the history of the car. Read up on all the issues, find out what's been fixed and what hasn't and come to your own conclusion. I'd probably pass on that one myself.

adgjqetuo
08-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Malibu's aren't particularly reliable, but having said that they probably aren't the worst car Detroit ever turned out. I recently bought a 2001 Malibu with 17k miles for $5500 from a family member. I bought it knowing the issues with the car. Why did I buy it. Simple, there aren't really any choices in low mileage cars for that price. Basically, none. So I read up on all the issues with the car on this forum and decided that most of the issues were minor and could be fixed by myself. The car already had the lower intake manifold gasket replaced with the new gasket. It already had the emergency hazard switch replaced. The blower motor resistor was burnt, but I fixed that myself for $20.
The a/c control head occasionally switches off, but I'll do the board fix myself.
The 2001 Malibu is not my primary car, it's a kids car so I don't rely on it everyday and it won't see significant miles.

Given all of the above and weighing potential future issues, I decided that in my case it was worth $5500 to get a car, which is for all practical purposes new. In your case I think paying $5500 for a 2000 with 86k miles is too much
given the history of the car. Read up on all the issues, find out what's been fixed and what hasn't and come to your own conclusion. I'd probably pass on that one myself.

I was in the same boat myself. 1998 with only 74,000 miles for only $3400. For my price range, it was the best thing I could get as far as newer year and low miles. I was baisically stuck with the choice a malibu (tested 4 and this was the best one with the lowest miles for the lowest price), something that had a ton of miles and body damage, or a car 15+ years old.

Also, the only problems it has were minor things. Blower resistor (replaced myself) and one blinker bulb (also replaced myself). So for the money... why not, it's better then nothing :dunno:

When something breaks, I'll take that when the time comes, but for now, it's acting real reliable. But from other posts i've been reading....::Knock on Wood::...

kevinpublic
08-04-2006, 09:23 AM
I bought a 1998 Malibu just over a year ago for $2,600. It was a 4-banger with 86,000 miles. Since then, I've had to put over $5,000 worth of repairs in it. Unfortunately, most of the problems were issues I couldn't deal with myself (suspension, ALL major A/C modules, some engine problems, etc). The car would be fine for a month, then fall apart. It did this for several months. Obviously, the previous owner had these problems and decided to get rid of the fool thing.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money to replace it. Why? I spent all the extra !#$%& money I had fixing it! I hate this car and can't wait to get rid of it. It's very unlike the '81 Malibu I had at a teen. It was a tank and got TERRIBLE gas mileage... but the thing simply wouldn't stop running. It was nicknamed the 'battlebarge' because of its size.

dgallo_2000
08-29-2006, 10:27 AM
IN 2002, I bought a 2000 with 32,000 miles on it for that price. Low miles, very clean car, ran great, no problems, gaskets were replaced with real ones, and loved that car. But this past winter, motor mount broke, radiator blew (right into the transmission) and now I am looking for a transmission repair bill or a trans-replacement!

johnholl
08-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Mine is goint to be parted out the spring and struts a gone, gas tank and fuel lines are leaking. The last straw

2 years ago the engine went. the front berring were replaced, lower control arm and a caliper

Other than that GM makes a great automobile

Add your comment to this topic!