Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99" Malibu Check Engine Light

samturner
06-21-2006, 07:35 AM
I have a 99" Malibu 3.1 engine, the check engine light came on steady for about 50 miles and then went off. The car has 197.000 miles on it.

In the past I have went through all the normal things like intake gasket, passlock and other things that go wrong with the vehicles. When the light came on I checked all the normal things to check and even had Auto Zone try to read the codes but to no avail they didn't have the right code reader.

My question I had an Oldsmobile that had the check engin light come on to remind me to have the engine serviced then it went off after a while. I have had this vehicle since it was new and never noticed it on this one. Does the Malibu have this feature and I just missed it.

Any ideas? its off now and the car runs fine.

This has nothing to do with the problem but I have had the car since new and total outlay for repairs which I had done by either dealer in Independent garage has been no more the $2,000.00

richtazz
06-21-2006, 11:28 AM
It's probably a transmission/drivetrain code that handheld scanners can't read. I'm afraid you'll have to go to shop and have it scanned properly.

Add your comment to this topic!