Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Running bad

JimR
06-13-2006, 04:26 PM
ok its a 95 GT, all started sunday. thought it was the wires because 2 keep poping out due to oil in the tube. thougt it needed a tune up. i was wrong still running bandly.

at idle it is ok. 1/4 throttle ok, but more then that it bogs, misses and sputers. but i can ease the throttle up and its ok. i checked the compression for all 6 clys. Bank 1 all ok, but bank 2 cly 4 the compression is only 90 compared to the normal 170 so i guess it lost a compression ring. i also have 4 codes. they tell me cly7 is missing, air temp sensor is bad, fuel mix is bad, and the MAF is bad. replaced the MAF. the codes are gone and the car still runns like shit. the guys at work want me to bring it in but i would rather save $85 an hour and fix it myself.

so any ideas on why i cant go over 1/4 throttle with out missing?

brice k
07-01-2006, 01:13 PM
ok its a 95 GT, all started sunday. thought it was the wires because 2 keep poping out due to oil in the tube. thougt it needed a tune up. i was wrong still running bandly.

plug wires blowing out + low compression suggests that our sparkplug isn't sealing properly. Take that plug back out and check the well for extra crush washers, or your comp tester fitting could still be in there. (don't laugh I have done that once)

Brice

KimMG
07-06-2006, 03:39 AM
Did you do a wet and dry compression test? Are the threads good for the #7 spark plug?

BizzyBone
07-08-2006, 08:36 AM
OK my 1990 probe is doing about the same thing when i drive it normal its fine when i punch it it jumps then strats bogging down and wont go any faster...put new plugs new wires ....the car came from up north and i noticed that the cat converter isnt bolted on good and its rotted away so im gonna get good piping put on it ...any suggestions with this problem...hopefully my turbo isnt bad

InSinOr8
07-27-2006, 05:11 PM
My girlfriend's 96' Probe is doing the same thing all of the sudden. I posted in a previous message board about 15 minutes ago, but figured I'd just on again. The engine idles ok, but boggs like hell as you step on the gas pedal. I'm thinking about trying the compression tests on all 6 cyliders, but don't think it should be a problem. Is there anyway really to check sensors rather then replace one by one to try to correct the problem. WOuld a Chiltons manual be of any assistance for troubleshooting?

Thanks for the help!

rhandwor
09-22-2006, 01:22 PM
You need major engine work with that compression difference it won't run properly. Pump some oil in the bad cylinder does the compression come way up. I would pull the valve cover did a spring break or get weak on this cylinder.
If you put compressed air in the cylinder with the valves closed you can change a spring. This is much cheaper than another engine.

CrossGT6
09-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Did you do a wet and dry compression test? Are the threads good for the #7 spark plug?
How do you have a #7 Spark Plug Well? They only came in 6cyc and 4cyc?

You need to flush that motor and run a High Mile like Val or Cast. And some 6cyc Restore. I have seen some amazing results but you have to keep using it and frankly its a fix that is not something you should rest your life on for a LONG time. I would start looking for a new motor or getting the parts ready to rebuild that one (Or I would be willing to buy the car off you if your close enough).

Let me see what else you have posted. Also you said MAF Do you mean VAF? Just making sure I know what you replaced these cars have a VAF that basically looks like a weird Jet Part would be a good ref.

Anyway let me keep reading but this #7 must be a typo for number 6. It does sound like a Valve Cover Gasket redo is in order.

I will check for the other thread about a 96 having this problem, when was the last time you did timing on this vehicle? Check that to, never hurts and its not hard at all.

Def need somee more information. What were the codes you threw, if your in AZ I would be happy to come by and take a look.

octagon
10-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Had a similar problem with my 95. Found out that the bakelite tubes that connect the wires with the plugs themselves had a small crack. wasn't really obvious to look at, but on very close inspection there it was. replaced the wires and 2 years later runs like a top. My problem sounded exactaly like yours.

Add your comment to this topic!